Verification of moment of inertia calculation

In summary, the conversation is discussing the moment of inertia of regular polygons and how it can be calculated using a simplified formula. The formula is I = (m/6)(3+tan(pi/n)^2)*R^2, where m is the mass of the polygon, n is the number of edges, and R is the length of the line segment from the center to one of its edges. It is suggested to test this formula with known polygons and clarify its validity for different axes of rotation. A comparison is also made with the moment of inertia of a square using the simplified formula and the traditional formula.
Yaridovich
I was looking at the moment of inertia list that they have on Wikipedia and noticed that the moment of inertia for a regular polygon was rather complicated. I did the calculation myself and found a significantly simpler result of

I = (m/6)(3+tan(pi/n)^2)*R^2:

m is the mass of the polygon,

n is the number of edges of the polygon,

R is the length of the line segment from the center of the polygon to one of its edges, where the line segment is perpendicular to that edge. I just wanted to verify that this is correct; I can submit a proof of how I calculated this if need be.

Physics news on Phys.org
How about testing it out first for a few known polygons.If n is infinity you will have a thin solid disc for which the MI=(mR^2)/4.I think your equation gives (mR^2)/2
Whoops,we need to clarify this.If the axis of rotation is through the centre and at 90 degrees to the plane of the disc then the MI=(mR^2)/2.If you are considering the same axis then your equation seems to give the right answer.Try some other polygons.

Last edited:
moment of inertia of square:
[tex]I_c=\frac{m(h^2+w^2)}{12}=\frac{m(2h^2)}{12}=\frac{m(\sqrt{2}R)^2}{6}=\frac{mR^2}{3}[/tex]
but your formula shows:
[tex]I_c=\frac{2mR^2}{3}[/tex]

1. What is the purpose of verifying the moment of inertia calculation?

The purpose of verifying the moment of inertia calculation is to ensure the accuracy and validity of the calculated value. This is important as the moment of inertia is a crucial parameter in many engineering and physics applications, and any errors in the calculation can lead to incorrect results and potentially dangerous consequences.

2. How is the moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. This can be done using various methods, depending on the shape and dimensions of the object. For example, for a simple object with a known mass and dimensions, the moment of inertia can be calculated using the formula I = 1/12 * m * L^2, where m is the mass and L is the length of the object.

3. What are the possible sources of error in the moment of inertia calculation?

There are several potential sources of error in the moment of inertia calculation, including incorrect measurements of the object's mass or dimensions, using the wrong formula or method for calculation, and not taking into account the distribution of mass within the object. Other factors such as experimental errors, rounding errors, and unit conversions can also contribute to inaccuracies in the calculation.

4. How can the moment of inertia calculation be verified?

The moment of inertia calculation can be verified by comparing the calculated value with a known or theoretical value, if available. This can be done through experiments or simulations. Additionally, the calculation can also be checked by using alternative methods or formulas and ensuring that they yield similar results.

5. Is there a standard or accepted value for the moment of inertia?

There is no standard or universally accepted value for the moment of inertia as it varies depending on the shape, dimensions, and distribution of mass of an object. However, for common shapes such as cylinders, spheres, and rectangular prisms, there are established formulas for calculating the moment of inertia which can be used for verification purposes.