Magnetic field: Bar magnet & coil. Number of Turns?

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario involving a bar magnet, a compass, and a coil of wire. The bar magnet has a magnetic dipole moment of 0.5 A m2 and is located on the negative x-axis. The compass is at the origin and is affected by the presence of the bar magnet and the coil. The distance between the center of the coil and the center of the compass is 9.9 cm, while the distance between the center of the bar magnet and the center of the compass is 22.5 cm. A steady current of 0.836 amperes runs through the coil in a clockwise direction. The conversation also mentions equations and a calculation to determine the number of loops, but it
tjvogel
Hey all, I'm new to this site, so bear with me here! First post woot!

Homework Statement

A bar magnet with magnetic dipole moment 0.5 A m2 lies on the negative x-axis, as shown in the diagram. A compass is located at the origin. Magnetic North is in the negative z direction. Between the bar magnet and the compass is a coil of wire of radius 1.5 cm, connected to batteries not shown in the picture. The distance from the center of the coil to the center of the compass is 9.9 cm. The distance from the center of the bar magnet to the center of the compass is 22.5 cm. A steady current of 0.836 amperes runs through the coil. Conventional current runs clockwise in the coil when viewed from the location of the compass.
http://tinyurl.com/27o8lfk

Homework Equations

Bmagnet= [tex]\mu[/tex]o/4*[tex]\pi[/tex]*(2*[tex]\mu[/tex])/r3
Bcoil= [tex]\mu[/tex]o/4*[tex]\pi[/tex] * (2*pi*R2I)/(z2+ R2)3/2})where mu_o/4 = 1e-7
mu= magnetic dipole moment =.5 A*m2
R= radius= .015

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that Bmagnet= negative Bcoil to keep needle pointing north.
I have tried a couple things, but here is what I think it is, and want to make sure that I get it right.

Bmagnet
= 1e-7* [(2*.5)/.225)]
=4.444e-7

Bcoil
=1e-7*(2*pi*.0152I)/(.0152+ .0992)3/2
=1.17727e-7And my assumption that I would then proceed to divide Bmagnet by Bcoil to get the number of loops...
=4.444e-7/1.17727e-7

=3.7752 Turns

Is this right? or am I doing something wrong?
thanks!
(and sorry for the sloppiness/inconsistency of the formulas... I got tired of trying to fix it. still getting used to the formula inputs... esp greek letters)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi tjvogel, welcome to PF.

What is the reading in the compass?

ah! I would forget the last sentence... Despite the presence of the coil and the bar magnet, the compass points North.

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region around a magnet or electric current where magnetic forces can be detected. It is a vector quantity, which means it has both magnitude and direction.

2. What is a bar magnet?

A bar magnet is a permanent magnet that has a rectangular or bar-shaped appearance. It has two poles, a north pole and a south pole, which are the points of maximum magnetic strength on the magnet.

3. What is a coil?

A coil is a conducting wire that is wound into a series of loops or turns. It can be used to create a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it, or to induce an electric current when a magnetic field is applied to it.

4. How does the number of turns in a coil affect the magnetic field?

The number of turns in a coil is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field it produces. This means that as the number of turns increases, the magnetic field also increases. This relationship is known as Faraday's law.

5. Can the direction of a magnetic field be changed?

Yes, the direction of a magnetic field can be changed. The direction is determined by the direction of the current flow in the coil. If the current is reversed, the direction of the magnetic field will also reverse. This is known as the right-hand rule.