How Do Large Water Reservoirs Effect The Length of the Day

In summary: Therefore, it can be concluded that the overall movement of water into reservoirs has caused a slight increase in the length of the day. In summary, the problem involves estimating the change in the length of the day caused by the overall movement of water into reservoirs around the world. By using the conservation of angular momentum and calculating the moment of inertia and angular velocity, it was determined that the change in length is approximately 0.3 milliseconds. This suggests that the movement of water into reservoirs has caused a small increase in the length of the day.
alex3

Homework Statement

Verbatim from the problem:

"About [tex]10000km^3[/tex] of water is held behind dams in reservoirs around the world.Most reservoirs are at mid-latitudes, whilst the bulk of the world’s oceans are concentrated near the equator. By using conservation of angular momentum, estimate by how much the overall movement of water into reservoirs has changed the length of the day."

Homework Equations

[tex]r^{2}_{g} = \frac{I}{M}[/tex]
[tex]\rho_E = \frac{M}{V}[/tex]
[tex]V = \frac{4}{3} \pi R^{3}_{E}[/tex]
[tex]L = I\omega = r^{2}_{g} M\omega[\tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Based on the equation, L = Iω, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity, the conservation of angular momentum must be used to calculate the change in length of the day. To do this, I must first be calculated.I can be calculated using the equation I = Mr2g, where M is the mass of the water and rg is the radius of gyration. The mass of the water can be calculated using the equation ρE = M/V, where ρE is the density of the Earth and V is the volume of the water. The volume of the water can be calculated from the given data, which is 10,000km3. The density of the Earth can be found from a quick Google search and is 5.515 g/cm3. Once the mass of the water is calculated, the radius of gyration can be calculated. This can be done by calculating the radius of the Earth, which is 6,378 km, and then dividing it by the square root of 2. With I and ω known, the equation L = Iω can then be used to calculate the change in the length of the day. The calculated change in the length of the day is approximately 0.3 milliseconds.

1. How does the presence of a large water reservoir affect the length of the day?

The presence of a large water reservoir can affect the length of the day in several ways. Firstly, the water in the reservoir can act as a thermal buffer, absorbing heat during the day and releasing it at night. This can have a slight impact on the length of the day by slowing down the cooling of the Earth's surface. Additionally, the weight of the water in the reservoir can cause the Earth's crust to flex, which can also have a very small effect on the length of the day.

2. Is the effect of large water reservoirs on the length of the day significant?

The effect of large water reservoirs on the length of the day is very small and often not noticeable. While the presence of a large body of water can have a slight impact on the Earth's rotation, it is not significant enough to significantly alter the length of the day. Other factors, such as the Earth's tilt and its distance from the sun, have a much larger impact on the length of the day.

3. Can large water reservoirs cause changes in the Earth's rotation speed?

While large water reservoirs can have a minor effect on the Earth's rotation speed, it is not significant enough to cause any noticeable changes. The rotation speed of the Earth is primarily influenced by the distribution of mass on the planet, and the amount of water in a reservoir is not enough to significantly alter this distribution.

4. Do large water reservoirs have a greater impact on the length of the day in certain locations?

The impact of large water reservoirs on the length of the day is relatively consistent worldwide. However, in areas with a higher concentration of large reservoirs, the combined effect of these reservoirs may be slightly more noticeable. Additionally, the size and depth of the reservoir can also play a role in its impact on the length of the day.

5. Can human activity, such as building large reservoirs, affect the length of the day?

While human activity, such as building large reservoirs, can have a small impact on the length of the day, it is not significant enough to cause any noticeable changes. The Earth's rotation is primarily influenced by natural factors, and human activity does not have a significant enough effect to alter this. Additionally, the construction of large reservoirs often involves redistributing large amounts of mass, which can counteract any potential effects on the length of the day.