Three charges in a plane- static and current electricity

In summary: When you add them, their algebraic sum is less than either one by itself. IOW, the one force adds to the other, but the other force subtracts from the one.So it looks to me like your book's problem has two errors; the signs of the charges at the corners of the triangle are wrong.In summary, an equilateral triangle with sides of 0.11 m has charges of +1.5 µC, +8.0 µC, and -8.6 µC located at the corners. The net electrostatic force exerted on the +1.5 µC charge is 16.0359 N. However, the signs of the charges may be incorrect in the given problem
name_ask17

Homework Statement

An equilateral triangle has sides of 0.11 m. Charges of -8.6, +8.0, and +1.5 µC are located at the corners of the triangle. Find the magnitude of the net electrostatic force exerted on the 1.5-µC charge.

Homework Equations

kqQ/d^2

The Attempt at a Solution

first i did kq1q3/d^2 and got F13=9.595
then i did kq2q3/d^2 and got F12=8.9256

then i set up f12x=8.9256cos60 +f13x=9.590 to get Fx=14.05and then F12y=8.9256sin60 + f13y=0 to get Fy=7.73
then i used the pythagaron theorem to get the total force on q3 as 16.0359N, but that was marked incorrect by the online hw.
can you explain to me where I am going wrond please??

Physics news on Phys.org
In what direction does F13 act compared with the x-component of F12?

they act in opposite directions. but if 1 was negative, then that would still come out as the same answer when i do the pythagaron theorem correct? or no?

I don't see any negative values in the sums you provided back in post #1. When you add components, you have to rely on algebraic signs to indicate directions.

ok so they are both positive, but where am i going wrong? did i miss a step? because my book has a example of this type of problem and it is very similar and i am doing everything it did,please advise

name_ask17 said:

Homework Statement

An equilateral triangle has sides of 0.11 m. Charges of -8.6, +8.0, and +1.5 µC are located at the corners of the triangle. Find the magnitude of the net electrostatic force exerted on the 1.5-µC charge.

Homework Equations

kqQ/d^2
This is not an equation; no equal sign.

The Attempt at a Solution

first i did kq1q3/d^2 and got F13=9.595
then i did kq2q3/d^2 and got F12=8.9256

then i set up f12x=8.9256cos60 +f13x=9.590 to get Fx=14.05and then F12y=8.9256sin60 + f13y=0 to get Fy=7.73
A customary way to write these is:
Fx=(F12)x+(F13)x → Fx=(8.9256)cos(60)+9.590
and
Fy=(F12)y+(F13)y → Fy=(8.9256)sin(60)+0

then i used the Pythagorean theorem to get the total force on q3 as 16.0359N, but that was marked incorrect by the online hw.
can you explain to me where I am going wrong please??
Comments in red above.

Does charge 2 attract or repel charge 1 ?
Does charge 3 attract or repel charge 1 ?

Writing "f12x=8.9256cos60 +f13x=9.590", etc. means something completely different from what you intend.

charge 2 attracts charge 1; charge 3 also attracts charge 1. so what do i do from here?

name_ask17 said:
charge 2 attracts charge 1; charge 3 also attracts charge 1. so what do i do from here?

Well, you sum up the components making sure to take into account their signs (directions). If two forces are acting in opposite directions, their sum should be smaller than either one individually.

OH! thanks. i was not taking the (-) into account; thanks both(:

From your equations & results, it looks to me like charge 1 = +1.5 µC, charge 2 = +8 µC, and charge 3 = ‒8.6 µC.

So charge 2 repels charge 1 and charge 2 attracts charge 1. .. and you're looking for the force on charge 1.

But looking back on them all, perhaps they're inconsistent or at the very least, confusing.

At any rate, as regards the two forces your trying to add, one is attraction, one is repulsion.

1. What is static electricity and how does it relate to three charges in a plane?

Static electricity is an imbalance of electric charges within or on the surface of a material. In the case of three charges in a plane, the charges may be either positive or negative and they interact with each other to create an electric field.

2. How do you calculate the electric field of three charges in a plane?

The electric field of three charges in a plane can be calculated using Coulomb's Law. This law states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. Can three charges in a plane create both attractive and repulsive forces?

Yes, three charges in a plane can create both attractive and repulsive forces depending on the relative positions and magnitudes of the charges. Attractive forces occur when opposite charges are closer together, while repulsive forces occur when like charges are closer together.

4. What is the difference between static and current electricity?

Static electricity is a stationary electric charge, whereas current electricity is the flow of electric charge through a conductor. In other words, static electricity is a buildup of charges, while current electricity is the movement of charges.

5. How does the distance between charges affect the electric field in three charges in a plane?

The distance between charges is inversely proportional to the electric field in three charges in a plane. This means that as the distance between charges increases, the electric field decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the inverse square law.