Build a Device to Connect to a TV: What Hardware is Needed?

• Thread starter salman213
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hardware
In summary: There are many microcontrollers that you could use, but it would be difficult to recommend one in particular. There are various types of microcontrollers with different capabilities and price tags, so it would be difficult to provide a comprehensive answer.
salman213
I am interested on working on a small home project. I want to build a device that will connect to a TV (through s-video or any video output).

I was just thinking about it and was wondering what hardware would be required to do this?

I am just a beginner but I want to learn more.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You haven't told us what the intended result is. If you want me to give you a technical (and smart-alecky) answer based on the information you have put forth then I will tell you to go buy an S-video connector, solder a wire onto it and plug it into your TV. You have just built a device that plugs into your TV. It does nothing, but was that a requirement?

Sorry for the vague post, but I am having trouble asking my question. Not sure how to ask it due to my lack of knowledge.

Okay, so, If I open a dvd player or receiver or any box, I am guessing there is a video card which connects to the tv (the video card has the outputs like s-video etc.). Where does the input signal to the video card come from?

For example, to begin if I make an image on paint, what hardware would I need to make a device to output that image on a tv set.

If your computer's video card has an S-Video output, you can make a S-Video to Composite Video adapter as shown in this article:

http://www.tkk.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/svideo2cvideo.html

The composite input on your TV (if it has one) would normally be a yellow RCA socket.

If your TV doesn't have one of these, but you have a video tape recorder connected to it, this will certainly have a composite video input and you could use that to view, or even record, your computer output.

The resolution of an analog TV set is usually a lot lower than that of a computer monitor, so you might find it worth while to use reduced resolution on the computer and avoid fine detail in your drawings.

Last edited by a moderator:
salman213 said:
Okay, so, If I open a dvd player or receiver or any box, I am guessing there is a video card which connects to the tv (the video card has the outputs like s-video etc.). Where does the input signal to the video card come from?
Depends on the device, but for a modern DVD player, it's basically just a simplified computer, with all the major parts a computer has.
For example, to begin if I make an image on paint, what hardware would I need to make a device to output that image on a tv set.
You're still not making much sense. "Paint" is a piece of software on a computer. Most today already have TV outputs. It almost sounds like you're saying you want to build a computer from scratch.

russ_watters said:
You're still not making much sense. "Paint" is a piece of software on a computer. Most today already have TV outputs. It almost sounds like you're saying you want to build a computer from scratch.
Okay, awesome. I was thinking if there is a easier way then starting from scratch, but maybe not.

So firstly I have to code a graphical interface like paint. Store this code in a microcontroller.

Can you guys recommend microcontrollers I could use to program a visual interface software which I will output to a TV?

Last edited:

1. What hardware is needed to build a device to connect to a TV?

To build a device to connect to a TV, you will need a few essential hardware components. These include a microcontroller, such as an Arduino or Raspberry Pi, a USB cable, an HDMI cable, a power supply, and any additional components depending on your specific project.

2. Can I use any microcontroller to build a device to connect to a TV?

While there are many microcontrollers available on the market, not all of them are suitable for building a device to connect to a TV. It is recommended to use a microcontroller that has HDMI output capabilities, such as the Raspberry Pi or Arduino 101.

3. Is it necessary to use a USB cable for my device to connect to a TV?

Yes, a USB cable is necessary for your device to connect to a TV. The USB cable will be used to power your microcontroller and send signals between the microcontroller and the TV.

4. Do I need any programming knowledge to build a device to connect to a TV?

Yes, some programming knowledge is required to build a device to connect to a TV. You will need to program the microcontroller to send signals to the TV and interpret the data sent from the TV.

5. Are there any additional components I may need for my device to connect to a TV?

Depending on the specific project, you may need additional components such as resistors, capacitors, and transistors. It is recommended to research and plan your project thoroughly to determine all necessary components.