Can the Green Theorem be Verified with a Given Field and Path?

In summary: The Green theorem states that the line integral along a positively oriented closed curve equals the double integral of the region enclosed by the curve. In this conversation, the speaker discusses verifying the Green theorem for the field F(x,y)=(x+y,2x-y) and a specific path. They provide parametrizations for the path and calculate the line integral and the double integral, finding that they do not match due to a missing negative sign. The expert summarizer notes the discrepancy and suggests a solution to fix the issue.
Telemachus
Hi there. I have the next exercice: Verify the Green theorem with the field [tex]F(x,y)=(x+y,2x-y)[/tex], and the path which its image is the boundary positively oriented for the region between [tex]x^2+y^2=9[/tex] y [tex]|x|+|y|=1[/tex]

At first I've drawn this:
index.php?action=dlattach;topic=48657.0;attach=9048.png

Then I've parametrized the path
[tex]\lambda_1[0,2\pi]\rightarrow{\mathbb{R}^2}:\lambda_1(t)=(3\cos t,3\sin t)[/tex]
[tex]\lambda_2[-1,1]\rightarrow{\mathbb{R}^2}:\lambda_2(t)=(t,1-|t|)[/tex]
[tex]\lambda_3[1,-1]\rightarrow{\mathbb{R}^2}:\lambda_3(t)=(t,|t|-1)[/tex]
[tex]\lambda=\lambda_1+\lambda_2+\lambda_3[/tex]

[tex]I_1=\displaystyle\int_{0}^{2\pi}(-(3\cos t+3 \sin t)3\sin t+(6\cos t-3\sin t)3\cos t)dt=9\pi[/tex]
[tex]I_2=\displaystyle\int_{-1}^{1}[t+1-|t|+(2t-1+|t|)sg(t)]dt=3[/tex]
[tex]I_2=\displaystyle\int_{1}^{-1}[t+|t|-1+(2t-|t|+1)sg(t)]dt=-1[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle\int_{\lambda}^{}F\cdot{d\lambda}=I_1+I_2+I_3=9\pi+2[/tex]

Then I made the double integral:
[tex]\displaystyle\int \int_{D} \left ( \frac{{\partial Q}}{{\partial x}}-\frac{{\partial P}}{{\partial y}} \right )dxdy[/tex]
[tex]\displaystyle\int_{-3}^{3}\displaystyle\int_{-\sqrt[ ]{9-x^2}}^{\sqrt[ ]{9-x^2}}dydx-\displaystyle\int_{-1}^{1}\displaystyle\int_{|x|-1}^{1-|x|}dydx=\displaystyle\int_{0}^{r} \int_{0}^{2\pi}r d \theta dr - \displaystyle\int_{-1}^{1}\displaystyle\int_{-1}^{1}\displaystyle\frac{1}{2}dvdu=9\pi-2[/tex]
In the last integral I've made the change of variables [tex]y+x=u,y-x=v[/tex]. As you can see I have a problem with a sign, in the 2. Perhaps I should take the opposite signs because lambda2 and lambda3 are "negative" oriented? I thought the sign should came naturally given by the parametrization, so I'm not sure what I did wrong here.

Bye and thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Telemachus said:
[tex]I_2=\displaystyle\int_{-1}^{1}[t+1-|t|+(2t-1+|t|)sg(t)]dt=3[/tex]

I think you dropped a negative sign in this integral. The differential dy should be - sg(t) since y = 1-|t|.

And according to Mathematica, this change should make your line integral sync up with the double integral.

1. What is the Green theorem?

The Green theorem, also known as the Green's theorem, is a fundamental theorem in mathematics that relates the line integral of a vector field around a closed curve to a double integral over the region enclosed by the curve.

2. How is the Green theorem used in science?

The Green theorem is used in various scientific fields such as physics, engineering, and fluid mechanics to solve problems involving line integrals and double integrals. It is also used in the study of electromagnetic fields and fluid flow.

3. What is the significance of verifying the Green theorem?

Verifying the Green theorem is important because it ensures the accuracy and validity of any calculations or applications of the theorem. It also helps to understand the underlying concepts and principles of the theorem, which can be applied to solve more complex problems.

4. How is the Green theorem verified?

The Green theorem can be verified by using the divergence theorem, which states that the double integral of the divergence of a vector field over a region is equal to the line integral of the same vector field over the boundary of the region. If these two integrals are equal, then the Green theorem is verified.

5. Can the Green theorem be applied to any type of curve?

No, the Green theorem can only be applied to closed curves, which are curves that start and end at the same point. This is because the theorem is based on the concept of a region enclosed by a curve. If the curve is not closed, then there is no enclosed region and the theorem cannot be applied.