Complex numbers from unitarity from information conservation?

In summary: Now I'm thinking that the complex nature of QM is responsible for the particle/wave duality. For without the complex i in the lagrangian you can get the kinetic energy of a particle. But when you put an i in front of it, then since it's in the exponent of the path integral, you get a wave nature and thus superpositions. I wonder what other quantum mechanical effects are due to the complex numbers.The particle/wave duality is due to the complex nature of the wave function.
friend
I doing some reading on why the wave-function is complex. From what I can tell, it's due to its evolution by unitary operators. But unitary operators seem to have something to do with information conservation. So I wonder if these idea have been developed somewhere in a concise fashion that prove that complex wave-functions come from unitary operators which in turn come from information conservation, or something like that. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
friend said:
I doing some reading on why the wave-function is complex. From what I can tell, it's due to its evolution by unitary operators. But unitary operators seem to have something to do with information conservation. So I wonder if these idea have been developed somewhere in a concise fashion that prove that complex wave-functions come from unitary operators which in turn come from information conservation, or something like that. Thanks.

Your assumption (that the wave function is complex) is widely accepted, but not quite obvious. While the following is not well-known, at least in some general and important cases the wave function can be made real - https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3799168&postcount=9 . In those cases, "evolution by unitary operators" peacefully coexists with a real wave function.

akhmeteli said:
Your assumption (that the wave function is complex) is widely accepted, but not quite obvious. While the following is not well-known, at least in some general and important cases the wave function can be made real - https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3799168&postcount=9 . In those cases, "evolution by unitary operators" peacefully coexists with a real wave function.

If examples of non-complex forms can be derived from complex forms, BUT complex forms cannot be derived from non-complex forms, then it sounds like the complex formulation is necessary. Thus the question remains.

friend said:
If examples of non-complex forms can be derived from complex forms, BUT complex forms cannot be derived from non-complex forms, then it sounds like the complex formulation is necessary. Thus the question remains.

First, it does not look obvious that "complex forms cannot be derived from non-complex forms", as far as quantum theory is concerned.

Second, as "evolution by unitary operators" does not exclude real wave functions, this evolution probably cannot be the reason "why the wave-function is complex", so the question seems to need at least some reformulation.

akhmeteli said:
First, it does not look obvious that "complex forms cannot be derived from non-complex forms", as far as quantum theory is concerned.

Second, as "evolution by unitary operators" does not exclude real wave functions, this evolution probably cannot be the reason "why the wave-function is complex", so the question seems to need at least some reformulation.

Now I'm thinking that the complex nature of QM is responsible for the particle/wave duality. For without the complex i in the lagrangian you can get the kinetic energy of a particle. But when you put an i in front of it, then since it's in the exponent of the path integral, you get a wave nature and thus superpositions. I wonder what other quantum mechanical effects are due to the complex numbers.

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that contain both a real and imaginary part. They are typically written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part (with i being the imaginary unit, equal to the square root of -1).

2. What is unitarity in relation to complex numbers?

Unitarity is a mathematical property of complex numbers that ensures the conservation of information. It means that the sum of the squares of the magnitudes of the real and imaginary parts of a complex number must equal 1.

3. How are complex numbers used in information conservation?

Complex numbers play a crucial role in information conservation because they allow for the representation of both amplitude and phase information. This allows for the accurate encoding and decoding of information in various fields such as signal processing, communication systems, and quantum mechanics.

4. Can complex numbers be visualized?

Yes, complex numbers can be visualized using the complex plane, which is a 2-dimensional plane where the x-axis represents the real part and the y-axis represents the imaginary part. This allows for the graphical representation of complex numbers and their operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

5. What are some practical applications of complex numbers from unitarity from information conservation?

Complex numbers from unitarity have numerous practical applications, including digital signal processing, image and audio compression, error correction codes, and quantum computing. They are also widely used in engineering, physics, and mathematics for modeling and solving complex problems.