Quantum Physics Confusion: Black Bodies & Spectrums

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of quantum physics and specifically focuses on the Sun as a black body. The Sun gets its energy from fusion at its core and radiates at all frequencies, with a peak in the visible range. The concept of a peak wavelength is explained and the conversation also touches on the absorption and emission lines of the Sun. The absorption spectrum of the Sun is determined by the molecules and atoms present in its atmosphere. The conversation also mentions the contributions of Planck to understanding black body radiation and the Ultraviolet catastrophe.
ehabmozart
Well, am an Alevel student... Edexcel.. I just find quantum physics a really really confusing topic.. My question is particularly in black bodies. If we consider the sun as a black body, where did the radiations of the sun initially come from. I don't mean the emitted radiation we see, i mean the original radiation which it absorbed. Secondly, what do white lines on a spectrum means and why yhe spectrum doesn't reach beyond visible light.. I am new to this forum so forgive my way I've posted my doubt.. Thanks :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Guys.. I really need help cs am having a test in a couple of weeks and i understand nothing!

The Sun gets its energy from fusion at its core. I suppose you can think of it kind of like the outer layer of the sun "absorbing light" from the core if it helps you conceptualize a little better (of course, don't take it too literally, there's a complex energy transport problem from the inner to outer regions of the sun which involves a lot more than just radiation transfer).

I don't know what you mean by "white lines" on a spectrum. What are you referring to? Are you talking about absorption and emission lines from the Sun? Also, what do you mean "the spectrum doesn't reach 'beyond' visible light"? The Sun radiates at all frequencies, it just mostly radiates in the visible because those are the frequencies corresponding to the peak in the black-body curve for the Sun (it is probably for this reason that we evolved to see visible light).

Dude, i owe u.. Thanks for help.. Here are my current doubts... What is a peak wavelength.. Like, a black body emits energy of all wavelenghts but y is there a peak at a particular one.. Secondly, it was mybad, i just wanted to know the absorbtion spectrum..

The black body radiation gives a peak, this was one of the fundamental results of Planck and his distribution. To really understand the reason why there's a peak, one needs to understand the Planck distribution.

For example, before Planck, Rayleigh had a "black body solution"; however, it ran into the Ultraviolet catastrophe. It was Planck who solved this problem by "quantizing" the energy (somewhat arbitrarily) of the atoms in a black body.

The absorption spectrum of the Sun is dictated by what molecules and atoms are in the Sun's atmosphere. Certain molecules/atoms will absorb certain frequencies of light. When the light from the Sun's photosphere is being transported through its atmosphere, some of it is absorbed by these molecules/atoms at those specific frequencies. There's not much more to it than that.

1. What is the difference between a black body and a spectrum in quantum physics?

A black body is an idealized object that absorbs all radiation that falls on it, while a spectrum is a distribution of wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation emitted or absorbed by a substance. In quantum physics, black bodies and spectra are related through the Planck's law, which describes the intensity of radiation emitted by a black body at different wavelengths.

2. How does quantum physics explain the behavior of black bodies?

In quantum physics, black bodies are explained through the concept of quantization, which states that energy can only be exchanged in discrete quantities. This leads to the understanding that black bodies emit and absorb energy in specific increments, known as quanta, which is described by the Planck's law.

3. What is the significance of black bodies in quantum physics?

Black bodies are significant in quantum physics as they serve as an important model for understanding the behavior of radiation and the principles of quantization. They also play a crucial role in the development of quantum mechanics and the understanding of the interaction between matter and radiation.

4. How is the concept of a black body related to the concept of temperature?

The concept of a black body is closely related to the concept of temperature, as a black body is defined as an object that absorbs all radiation that falls on it, regardless of temperature. The temperature of a black body is also directly related to the amount and distribution of radiation it emits, as described by the Planck's law.

5. What is the connection between black bodies and the ultraviolet catastrophe?

The ultraviolet catastrophe is a problem that arose in classical physics when trying to explain the distribution of energy emitted by a black body at different wavelengths. It was solved by Max Planck's theory of quantization, which led to the development of quantum physics. Therefore, black bodies and the ultraviolet catastrophe are connected through the understanding of the quantization of energy in quantum physics.