Berezin's correspondance of (anti-)symmetric function with functional

In summary, the book ``The Method of Second Quantization'' by Felix Berezin introduces the concept of generating functionals, which assigns each (anti-) symmetric function of N variables with a functional of a function of just the degrees of freedom of one of the particles. The book also mentions that one can construct the vector ##\hat\Phi## and the operator ##\tilde{A}## using the known functionals ##\Phi(a^*)## and ##\tilde{A}(a^*, a)##. However, understanding this may require a deeper understanding of functional derivatives and the Leibniz product rule.
Tschijnmo
Hi all, I have recently been reading the book ``The Method of Second Quantization'' by Felix Berezin but I got trapped on just page 4, where the concept of generating functionals is introduced. It seems to be assigning each (anti-) symmetric function of N variables with a functional of a function of just the degrees of freedom of one of the particles. And in the last sentence of the page, it is commented that ``Knowing the functional \Phi(a^*) and \tilde{A}(a^*, a), one can obviously construct the vector \Phi and the operator \tilde{A}''. But even after a serious amont of thinking, I am still not able to be the obviousness here. Google search did not seem to have yielded some clear answer. Even the book seems to have been highly cited, but I really cannot find a detailed explanation to it. Could someone here give me some guidance? Thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Tschijnmo said:
Hi all, I have recently been reading the book ``The Method of Second Quantization'' by Felix Berezin but I got trapped on just page 4, where the concept of generating functionals is introduced. It seems to be assigning each (anti-) symmetric function of N variables with a functional of a function of just the degrees of freedom of one of the particles. And in the last sentence of the page, it is commented that ``Knowing the functional ##\Phi(a^*)## and ##\tilde{A}(a^*, a)##, one can obviously construct the vector ##\hat\Phi## and the operator ##\tilde{A}##''. But even after a serious amount of thinking, I am still not able to be the obviousness here.
That book is a difficult study, as Berezin assumes quite a lot of the reader.

The stuff on page 4 you mentioned is part of an "introduction". A more detailed explanation follows in chapter 1 (though, as I look through it, I can't help thinking there must be more helpful ways of presenting this stuff).

Given the ##\Phi(a^*)## in Berezin's eq(0.10), i.e.,
$$
\Phi(a^*) ~:=~ \sum_n \frac{1}{\sqrt{n!}} \int K_n(x_1,\cdots,x_n) \;
a^*(x_1) \cdots a^*(x_n) \; d^n x ~,
$$
we want to extract the components of the vector ##\hat\Phi## in eq(0.1) which consists of the various ##K_n(\dots)## functions in the integrand. This is usually done with the help of a functional derivative. E.g., to extract ##K_1(y)##, use a single functional derivative like this:
$$
K_1(y) ~=~ \frac{\delta \Phi(a^*)}{\delta a^*(y)} \; \Big|_{a^*=0}
$$
This uses
$$
\frac{\delta a^*(x)}{\delta a^*(y)} ~=~ \delta(x-y)
$$
(i.e., a Dirac delta on the right hand side). This extracts one term from the sum of integrals, and all the others vanish after applying ##a^*=0## as the last step.

For higher order ##K_n(\dots)## we use higher order functional derivatives, apply the Leibniz product rule carefully when differentiating the integrands (which results in a factor of ##n!##, iirc), and possibly introduce an extra factor of ##\sqrt{n!}## somewhere to compensate.

I hope that's enough to give you the basic idea. Such use of functional differentiation is very common when working with generating functionals.

1. What is Berezin's correspondence of (anti-)symmetric function with functional?

Berezin's correspondence is a mathematical concept that relates symmetric and anti-symmetric functions to functionals. It is based on the notion of Grassmann variables and is used in the field of functional analysis.

2. How does Berezin's correspondence work?

Berezin's correspondence works by assigning a functional to a symmetric or anti-symmetric function. This is done by using the Grassmann variables and integrating over them. The result is a functional that can be used to evaluate the original function at any point.

3. What are the applications of Berezin's correspondence?

Berezin's correspondence has many applications in mathematics and physics. It is often used in quantum field theory to describe fermionic fields. It is also used in differential geometry to study supermanifolds.

4. What are the limitations of Berezin's correspondence?

One limitation of Berezin's correspondence is that it only applies to functions that are defined on Grassmann variables. It also has restrictions on the types of symmetries that can be described, as it cannot handle continuous symmetries.

5. Are there any alternative approaches to Berezin's correspondence?

Yes, there are alternative approaches to Berezin's correspondence, such as the Schwinger-Dyson equations and the Batalin-Vilkovisky formalism. These approaches have their own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method often depends on the specific problem being studied.