Derivation of Planck's constant

In summary: The '-1' in the numerator of Planck's equation is a mathematical symbol meaning that the energy of a quantum system is greater than the total energy of the system and the system can exist in more than one state.
lsimpson1943

Homework Statement

In a textbook I have, What is Quantum Mechanics?-A Physics Adventure, second edition,1996, Page 54, states that h=kβ, where h is Planck's constant; k is Boltzmann's constant, and β is Wien's constant. I have multiplied Boltzmann's constant times Wien's constant, but it does not come out to:
6.63 X 10-34 (joule second)

The book was translated from Japanese to English and perhaps something was lost in the translation. On the other hand, maybe I am just doing something wrong in my math.

Could someone tell me if the textbook statement is correct, and if it is, show me the math that verifies it?

Thanks

Homework Equations

Boltzmann constant k = 1.380662 X 10-23 (joule/Kelvin)

Wien's frequency displacement constant β = 5.878925 X 10-10 (Kelvin second)

Planck's constant p = 6.63 X 10-34 (joule second)

The Attempt at a Solution

(1.380662 X 10-23) X (5.878925 X 10-10) = 8.116808 X 10-33

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The units of beta are Hz/K. I think the relationship fails due to the units.

You have a couple of things wrong. The Wien's displacement law constant is β = 5.879E10 Hz/K, and the relation between this, h, and k is given by:

h = (2.82...) * k / β, where the 2.82... is a numerical constant given by finding the maximum of the blackbody function. This is derived in detail on the Wikipedia page on Wien's displacement law.

Many thanks to phyzguy and SteamKing. I did the math you suggested and it worked out perfectly.

h = [itex]\frac{1.380662\times10^{-23}\times2.82143\times10^{-10}}{5.878925}[/itex] = 0.6626132 X 10-33 = 6.626 X 10-34

I screwed up originally when I looked up Wien's frequency displacement law constant at:

http://www.knowledgedoor.com/2/units_and_constants_handbook/wien-frequency-displacement-law-constant.html

I copied down the second entry instead of the first one, because I wanted the Kelvin units to cancel out and just leave joules seconds in the numerator. (Planck's constant needs to be in joules seconds.) That would have been okay, except I made a stupid math error by not leaving the 5.878925 in the denominator when I brought up the 1010 to the numerator.

It turns out the textbook that gave me the relationship h = kβ was wrong, in that it did not mention the constant 2.82143 had to be multiplied times the . See attachment.

Attachments

• textbook.jpg
    textbook.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 1,258
I have the same textbook and was wondering the same thing. I was not able to figure it out and your question and the answer given are very timely for me. Many thanks.

I am still wondering what the physical meaning of the -1 in the numerator of Planck's Equation is.

irishladhi said:
I am still wondering what the physical meaning of the -1 in the numerator of Planck's Equation is.

Do you mean the '-1' in the denominator of Planck's Eq.? There is no '-1' in the numerator (which is the top bit, BTW).

oops, I meant denominator. Thanks for correcting me.

1. What is Planck's constant?

Planck's constant, denoted as h, is a fundamental physical constant that relates the energy of a photon to its frequency. It was first introduced by German physicist Max Planck in 1900 as part of his groundbreaking work on quantum mechanics.

2. How was Planck's constant derived?

Planck's constant was originally derived by Max Planck through mathematical calculations based on experimental data of blackbody radiation. He found that the energy of a photon is proportional to its frequency, and the constant of proportionality is h.

3. Why is Planck's constant important?

Planck's constant is important because it is a fundamental constant in quantum mechanics, which is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic levels. It is used in various equations and formulas to describe the behavior of particles and their interactions with electromagnetic radiation.

4. How is Planck's constant measured?

There are several methods used to measure Planck's constant, including the photoelectric effect, Compton scattering, and the Josephson effect. These experiments involve precise measurements of the energy and frequency of photons, and the results are used to calculate the value of h.

5. Has the value of Planck's constant changed over time?

The value of Planck's constant has been refined over time as technology has advanced and more precise measurements have been made. However, the fundamental value of h remains constant and is considered a fundamental constant of nature. As of 2019, the most accurate value of Planck's constant is 6.62607015 x 10^-34 joule seconds.