Best solution? for work done on a spring.

In summary, the problem involves finding the work done on a spring with a force constant of 170N/m when displaced 10cm from its equilibrium position. Two solutions are provided, with the first one using the equation W = ΔE and the second one using W = F(Δd). However, the second solution is incorrect because the force is not constant during the displacement and varies with the displacement. Therefore, the first solution is the better approach.
Tyrannosaurus_

Homework Statement

GIVEN: Force constant (k) = 170N/m. Displaced 10cm (0.1m) from equilibrium position.
REQUIRED: Find the work done on the spring.

Homework Equations

Solution 1 uses: W = ΔE, & (elastic energy} Ee = 0.5(k)x2, where k is the constant, and x is displacement from equilibrium position.

Solution 2 uses: W = F(Δd), & (elastic/spring force} Fe = kx, where k is the constant, and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position.

The Attempt at a Solution

Please evaluate these solutions & choose the best. Please tell me why. Please correct my misunderstandings. Thanks!

SOLUTION 1.
w = ΔE
w = Eefinal - Eeinitial
w = 0.5(k)xfinal2 - 0 {because initial the spring is at the eq. position.)
w = 0.5(170N/m)(0.1m)2
w = 0.85J

SOLUTION 2.
w = F(Δd)
w = Fe(Δd)
w = kx(Δd)
w = (170N/m)(0.1m)(0.1m)
w = 1.7J

Which solution is better, and why? (It's obvious why the values are different.)
Please help me understand why/where these approaches are best. (I understand calculus, but I need to understand these concepts, before I use calculus to evaluate.)

Physics news on Phys.org
The second method is wrong, F is not constant during the displacement.

Thanks very much! ! !

Is there a resource you can point me to that explains why the force is not constant? Or, can you tell me why?

I'm not trying to be difficult, I just want to understand. I really want to be an engineer.

Is there a resource you can point me to that explains why the force is not constant? Or, can you tell me why?
Just check how you calculated the force at 10cm excitation. What is the force at an excitation of 5cm?

(elastic/spring force} Fe = kx, displacement x varies.Hence force is not constant

What is the best way to measure the work done on a spring?

The best way to measure the work done on a spring is by using the equation W = 0.5*k*x^2, where W is the work, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

How does the amount of work done on a spring affect its potential energy?

The amount of work done on a spring is directly proportional to its potential energy. As more work is done on the spring, its potential energy increases.

What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating work done on a spring?

The accuracy of calculating work done on a spring can be affected by factors such as friction, air resistance, and the precision of measuring devices used.

Can the work done on a spring ever be negative?

Yes, the work done on a spring can be negative if the spring is compressed or stretched in the opposite direction of its motion. This indicates that energy is being taken away from the spring instead of being added to it.

How can the work done on a spring be used to determine its spring constant?

The work done on a spring can be used to determine its spring constant by rearranging the equation W = 0.5*k*x^2 to solve for k. This can be done by dividing both sides by x^2 and then multiplying by 2.