Which Engineering Program is Better: University of Delaware or Penn State?

In summary: Thank you for your time.In summary, University Park is a great engineering school, but Penn State is also a great school.
LizardKing23
I have recently been accepted to the University of Delaware Mechanical Engineering Honors Program, and the Penn State University Non-Honors Mechanical Engineering Program. From a strictly engineering point of view, which university is better? I have two weeks to make a decision, and I am dying here.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know about U of Delaware, but I know several folks at PSU and it is a great engineering school.

I would suggest you look at what research the faculty are doing, and what they have published, and use that as a guide.

I actually visited Delaware yesterday morning, and they have great facilities and one of the best undergrad research programs available. Id really like to get into undergrad research, so as of now I am leaning towards Delaware, but I have yet to tour PSU's facilities, so that could change. Thank you for your advice.

Are you talking about Penn State University Park or Delaware?

University Park is one of the best engineering schools with one of the better engineering departments.

Penn State is pretty good, but it's a huge department. I have no idea about the size of Delaware, but it's easy to get lost among all the other MEs at PSU. And if you want to get started in research, it helps to be in a smaller department where you know the faculty more intimately, or in an honors program. But if you're motivated and aggressive, you shouldn't have a problem finding somebody to work with at Penn State.

I guess it also depends a little on what you plan to do after graduation. A degree from PSU would probably make it not too hard to find a decent job, but if you want to go to graduate school, you might be better off going where you get a better relationship with professors and can do research.

Last edited:

1. What are the top engineering colleges in the country?

The top engineering colleges in the country are constantly changing, but some consistently highly ranked schools include MIT, Stanford, UC Berkeley, Caltech, and Georgia Tech.

2. How do I choose the right engineering college for me?

When choosing an engineering college, it's important to consider factors such as program offerings, faculty expertise, research opportunities, location, and cost. You should also visit the campus, talk to current students and alumni, and research the job placement rates for graduates.

3. What types of engineering majors are available at most colleges?

Most engineering colleges offer majors such as mechanical, electrical, civil, chemical, and computer engineering. Some also offer specialized majors like aerospace, environmental, or biomedical engineering.

4. How can I prepare for an engineering major in high school?

To prepare for an engineering major in high school, take math and science courses like calculus, physics, and chemistry. You can also participate in engineering-related clubs or activities and seek out internships or job shadowing opportunities in the field.

5. Is it necessary to attend an ABET-accredited engineering college?

While it's not strictly necessary, attending an ABET-accredited engineering college can provide assurance that the program meets certain standards of quality and can also make it easier to obtain a professional engineering license in the future.