Why light is not considered as a longitudinal wave?

In summary, light is not considered as a longitudinal wave because it can be polarized, which is not possible for longitudinal waves. This can be seen through experiments such as using polarizing filters. Additionally, Maxwell's equations dictate that light cannot have a longitudinal polarization in a vacuum. Other reasons for considering light as a transverse wave include Pythagorean's explanation and the mathematical equivalence between the reasons.
Trojan666ru
I would like see the reasons why light is not considered as a LWave

Science news on Phys.org
Because the quantity described in the amplitude of an electromagnetic wave is typically oriented perpendicular to the direction of propagation in physical space.

There are exceptions (like in plasmas), but that's a special circumstance.

Nobody is clear in their answers.
I would like to hear the reasons
It can be polarised! What?

I don't know how much more clear I can be. Longitudinal waves cannot be polarized. Light can be polarized. Therefore light cannot be a longitudinal wave.

How do we find that light can be polarized? Any experiment?

DaleSpam said:
I don't know how much more clear I can be. Longitudinal waves cannot be polarized. Light can be polarized. Therefore light cannot be a longitudinal wave.

Is that the only reason why light is considered as a traverse wave?

Pythagorean gave another reason, and there are most likely still other reasons. All the reasons are equivalent mathematically, but to me the polarization is the one that seems most clear.

Trojan666ru said:
How do we find that light can be polarized? Any experiment?
Sure, take two polarizing filters (e.g. lenses from sunglasses), make light pass through both, and rotate them relative to each other to see light be blocked completely or pass.

Light can be polarised longitudinally! (e.g. in an optical fibre or other waveguide structure).

In a vacuum, however, Maxwell's equations dictate that light cannot have a longitudinally polarised component.

Claude.

Trojan666ru said:
Nobody is clear in their answers.
I would like to hear the reasons
It can be polarised! What?

This is very confusing, and no one has asked the OP one very obvious question, so I will ask.

Trojan666ru: have you ever solved Maxwell equation to obtain the light's wave equation?

If you haven't, please look at that first and see if that answers your question.

If you have, then what is the issue, considering that the transverse description of light just drops onto your lap when you solve it?

Zz.

1. Why is light not considered as a longitudinal wave?

Light is not considered as a longitudinal wave because it does not exhibit the characteristics of a longitudinal wave. Longitudinal waves require a medium to travel through, and light can travel through a vacuum. Additionally, longitudinal waves have compressions and rarefactions, while light travels as an electromagnetic wave with oscillating electric and magnetic fields perpendicular to each other.

2. What evidence supports the idea that light is not a longitudinal wave?

There are several pieces of evidence that support the idea that light is not a longitudinal wave. One is the fact that light can travel through a vacuum, while longitudinal waves require a medium. Another is the polarization of light, which is only possible with transverse waves. Additionally, the behavior of light in diffraction and interference experiments is more consistent with the behavior of transverse waves.

3. Why is it important to understand that light is not a longitudinal wave?

Understanding that light is not a longitudinal wave is important because it allows us to accurately describe and predict the behavior of light. By recognizing that light is an electromagnetic wave, we can use mathematical models and equations that accurately describe its properties and interactions with matter. This understanding also helps us develop technologies such as fiber optics and lasers.

4. Can light ever behave like a longitudinal wave?

No, light cannot behave like a longitudinal wave. The nature of light as an electromagnetic wave is fundamental and cannot be altered. While light may exhibit some properties similar to longitudinal waves, such as refraction, these can be explained by the wave-particle duality of light and do not indicate that light is a longitudinal wave.

5. How does the understanding of light as an electromagnetic wave impact other areas of science?

The understanding of light as an electromagnetic wave has had a significant impact on various areas of science, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. It has allowed for the development of technologies such as lasers, fiber optics, and solar panels. Additionally, this understanding has led to breakthroughs in our understanding of the universe, including the discovery of the electromagnetic spectrum and the role of light in the formation of stars and galaxies.