Rolling hoop hit with impulse. Find angle of deflection and max force.

In summary, the conversation discusses a child's hoop rolling with a velocity v and being given a light tap with a stick, resulting in a deflection of the line of rolling by angle \phi = I/Mv. The gyroscope approximation is valid when F << \dfrac{2Mv^2}{b}, with \Omega << \omega and \phi << \omega dt = \dfrac{v}{b}dt.
Dazed&Confused

Homework Statement

A child's hoop of mass [itex]M[/itex] and radius [itex]b[/itex] rolls in a straight line with velocity [itex]v[/itex]. Its top is given a light tap with a stick at right angles to the direction of motion. The Impulse of the blow is [itex]I[/itex].

a. Show that this results in a deflection of the line of rolling by angle [itex]\phi = I/Mv [/itex], assuming that the gyroscope approximation holds and neglecting friction with the ground.

b. Show that the gyroscope approximation is valid provided [itex] F << \dfrac{2Mv^2}{b}[/itex], where F is the peak applied force.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know for sure the direction of the impulse but assuming it is to the side, that would be the 'angular impulse' would be [itex]Ib[/itex] in the direction perpendicular to the angular momentum [itex]Mbv[/itex] of the wheel, so [itex]\tan\phi = Ib/Mbv = I/Mv ≈ \phi [/itex]. The last part using the small angle approximation.

For b. I would assume that since [itex]\phi << 1[/itex], therefore [itex] Fdt << Mv [/itex].

I don't know if any of my attempt is correct.

Edit: if instead I approximate the impulse by a triangle height [itex]F[/itex] and base [itex] dt [/itex], then the impulse would be [itex]\dfrac{Fdt}{2}[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

For part a, I think your work is correct.

For part b, you need to find the meaning of the phrase "gyroscope approximation". I don't think it means ##\phi << 1##. If this is not defined in your text or notes, then try a web search.

Likes 1 person
TSny said:
For part a, I think your work is correct.

For part b, you need to find the meaning of the phrase "gyroscope approximation". I don't think it means ##\phi << 1##. If this is not defined in your text or notes, then try a web search.

Ok so I checked online as it isn't in my book and it means [itex]\Omega << \omega [/itex] and that they are nearly constant. If I use my expression for impulse along with [itex]\phi << \omega dt = \dfrac{v}{b}dt [/itex] then I get the right answer.

Thanks for the tip and I hope this is correct.

OK, good. I think that's right.

1. What is a rolling hoop?

A rolling hoop is a circular object that is set in motion by pushing or throwing it. It can also be defined as a wheel or cylinder that rotates around its axis as it moves.

2. What is meant by impulse?

Impulse is a measure of the change in momentum of an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the time interval over which it acts.

3. How is the angle of deflection calculated?

The angle of deflection is calculated using the formula: θ = (Ft/mRv) * (1 + (I/mR^2)) where θ is the angle of deflection, F is the force applied, t is the time interval, m is the mass of the hoop, R is the radius of the hoop, and v is the initial velocity of the hoop.

4. What is the maximum force that can be applied to the rolling hoop?

The maximum force that can be applied to the rolling hoop is determined by the material and structure of the hoop. If the force applied exceeds the hoop's strength, it may deform or break.

5. How does the angle of deflection and maximum force affect the motion of the rolling hoop?

The angle of deflection and maximum force both affect the motion of the rolling hoop. The angle of deflection determines the direction in which the hoop will move, while the maximum force affects the speed and distance the hoop will travel. In general, a greater force applied at a steeper angle will result in a faster and farther rolling hoop.