Photon Absorption & Excitation of Electrons in Atoms

In summary, Marlon Brando's performance in "The Godfather" is the best acting achievement in the history of cinema. Spielberg knows nothing about movies for adults, and "Schindler's list" is not even close to the level of quality of other movies.
Ratzinger
When a photon hits an atom it gets absorbed and an electron moves one or more shells up depending on the energy of the photon. When a bigger, many-electron atom gets hit by a photon, can the electrons in the lower shells get excited? I mean when they move up they have to remove the electrons in the higher shells? Is that happening?
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
"The permission for an electron to move a shell up is granted by an electron in the upper shell "

An electron can only move in the upper shell only if:
Upper electron is ready to pair up.
Upper electron leaves the shell after excitation and leaves its site vacant.

Ratzinger said:
When a photon hits an atom it gets absorbed and an electron moves one or more shells up depending on the energy of the photon. When a bigger, many-electron atom gets hit by a photon, can the electrons in the lower shells get excited? I mean when they move up they have to remove the electrons in the higher shells? Is that happening?
Thank you

Yes it can. This is what happens in core-level photoemission spectroscopy, and also what happens in Auger spectroscopy, for examples.

Zz.

Oops.. correction. Auger spectroscopy is typically caused by high-energy electrons exciting the core-level electrons. Only in some cases is soft x-ray used to initiate the process. So only core-level photoemission is the completely valid example in there.

Last edited:
Ratzinger, you are THE PF member with the best username, in my opinion.

way to go...

PAX VOBISCUM , ET CUM SPIRITU TUO

marlon

Last edited:
Thank you, marlon, I will include you in my prayers. I assume you are a fan of the "Godfather". Heard recently Steven Spielberg saying that he watched Part I at least 100 times and that's without question the best movie ever made. He also meant that Part II doesn't even come close to the first one, because it tries too hard to be art.
What do you make of that?

CARPE DIEM (actually took three years latin in school, but that's all what's left)

Ratzinger said:
Thank you, marlon, I will include you in my prayers. I assume you are a fan of the "Godfather". Heard recently Steven Spielberg saying that he watched Part I at least 100 times and that's without question the best movie ever made. He also meant that Part II doesn't even come close to the first one, because it tries too hard to be art.
What do you make of that?

Spielberg knows nothing about movies for adults. Part two has the best cinematography, best scenario and best screen play. But, nothing tops the acting achievement of Marlon Brando in part one. De Niro comes close in part two and Pacino gives the best performance in part three. However, Don Vito Corleone is ... astonishingly ... brought to life by Brando...it is something very special.

Of all movie characters i have seen, only the Salieri character (F Murray Abraham) in AMADEUS and Jack Nicholson in The Shining, come close to the same quality...

CARPE DIEM (actually took three years latin in school, but that's all what's left)
don't worry, it is the same here...

marlon

ZapperZ said:
Yes it can. This is what happens in core-level photoemission spectroscopy, and also what happens in Auger spectroscopy, for examples.

Zz.

Oops.. correction. Auger spectroscopy is typically caused by high-energy electrons exciting the core-level electrons. Only in some cases is soft x-ray used to initiate the process. So only core-level photoemission is the completely valid example in there.
Also look into EXAFS. There's a nice review located in our Links Directory : https://www.physicsforums.com/local_links.php?action=links&catid=13 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Spielberg knows nothing about movies for adults.
What about „Schindler’s list“?

Part two has the best cinematography, best scenario and best screen play. But, nothing tops the acting achievement of Marlon Brando in part one. De Niro comes close in part two and Pacino gives the best performance in part three. However, Don Vito Corleone is ... astonishingly ... brought to life by Brando...it is something very special.

Have nothing to add.

Of all movie characters i have seen, only the Salieri character (F Murray Abraham) in AMADEUS and Jack Nicholson in The Shining, come close to the same quality...

I think „The Shining“ is the creepiest movie ever made. Did Nicholson get an Oscar for that? Recently saw Kubrick’s “Path of Glory” the first time. Great movie. Haven’t seen “Amadeus” in a long time, but I constantly hear people saying how great it is.

What about “Goodfellas”? I know, many have a problem with Ray Liotta, but if I had to decide, then this has to be my all-time favourite movie. Speaking of Oscars, it’s just embarrassing that Scorcese is still waiting.

Talking of great acting performance, Marlon, what about “On the waterfront”?

Last edited:
Ratzinger said:
Spielberg knows nothing about movies for adults.
What about „Schindler’s list“?

ok, i'll give you that one :)

I think „The Shining“ is the creepiest movie ever made. Did Nicholson get an Oscar for that? Recently saw Kubrick’s “Path of Glory” the first time. Great movie.

No he did not;;;

Haven’t seen “Amadeus” in a long time, but I constantly hear people saying how great it is.

i have seen it like ten times and still i discover something new;;;

ps : be film-music ever :wink:

What about “Goodfellas”? I know, many have a problem with Ray Liotta, but if I had to decide, then this has to be my all-time favourite movie. Speaking of Oscars, it’s just embarrassing that Scorcese is still waiting.

seconded; Liotta is great

Talking of great acting performance, Marlon, what about “On the waterfront”?
Indeed, besides Brando won his first oscar with this movie...

marlon

1. What is photon absorption?

Photon absorption is the process by which an atom absorbs a photon, or a discrete packet of electromagnetic energy. This causes an electron in the atom to move from a lower energy level to a higher energy level.

2. How does photon absorption lead to excitation of electrons in atoms?

When an electron absorbs a photon, it gains energy and moves to a higher energy level. This results in the atom becoming excited, as one or more of its electrons are in a higher energy state than before.

3. What determines the amount of energy that an electron gains during photon absorption?

The amount of energy gained by an electron during photon absorption is determined by the energy of the photon and the energy levels of the atom. The energy of a photon is directly proportional to its frequency, so higher frequency photons have more energy and can cause greater excitation of electrons.

4. Can an electron in an excited state return to its ground state?

Yes, an electron in an excited state can return to its ground state by emitting a photon of energy equal to the difference between its initial and final energy levels. This process is known as photon emission.

5. How is photon absorption and excitation of electrons in atoms important in everyday life?

Photon absorption and excitation of electrons in atoms is important in many modern technologies, including solar cells, lasers, and LED lights. It also plays a crucial role in photosynthesis, the process by which plants convert light energy into chemical energy.