Solving a Puzzling Physics Problem - Help Needed!

• Thread starter willworkforfood
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: So it's not just the radii of the pulleys that matters, it's the distance between the centers of the pulleys too. In summary, this problem is rather difficult to understand and needs more clarification.
willworkforfood
Trying to describe this problem in words would be rather tedious, dull and very difficult for all involved, so without further ado:

http://portfolio.iu.edu/whoblitz/problem.PNG

My problem: I don't have a clue. I know torque is basically radius (lever arm) times force and that it is also moment of inertia times angular acceleration. I realize there are a lot of "PLZ DO MY HOMEWARKZ!11one" questions here, but I am really at a loss.

I don't expect anyone to do my homework, I just need a path to follow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
First think about what have to be equal in order for that pulley to stay still (omega = 0 rad/s, alpha = 0 rad/s^2)? And then work you problem form there.

So is it ok to assume the two torques would have to be equal?

As is frequently the case with problems like this, a free body diagram is an excellent place to start. When you're dealing with the pulleys - in particular with the pulley attached to the truck - remember that each line of the rope provides an independent pull on the pulley.

Be sure you list all of the forces involved, remember that the pulley by itself does nothing except redirect the tensions, and remember Newton's Second Law. You should be fine.

willworkforfood said:
So is it ok to assume the two torques would have to be equal?
Newton's second law, ΣM = ΣI*α, if alpha is equal to 0, thus net moment is 0. Two torques have equal magnitude but opposite direction.

As Diane said, draw FBDs of both pulleys and use Newton's second Law (F=ma).

The problem as I have it now:

first pulley torque=second pulley torque
r*f=r*f
3*r*m*9.8=(r+.5*r)*2340*9.8*sin(30.6)

I am not sure if the radius on the second pulley's torque equation would simply be r/2 (2nd pulley radius) or the sum of the radii of the inner part of pulley 1 and pulley #2 r+r/2 as above.

Clarification requested if at all possible and is this setup right? Thanks again :approve:

The belts don't transmit torque, they transmit force - specifically, the tension in the belt/rope. The differing radii of the pulleys will cause that tension to give different torques. Does that make any sense?

edit:

Figured it out, thanks.

Last edited:

1. What are the steps to solving a physics problem?

The first step in solving a physics problem is to clearly understand the given problem and identify what is being asked. Then, gather all the necessary information and data. Next, choose an appropriate equation or formula to use and set up the problem. Finally, solve the problem and check your answer.

2. How do I approach a physics problem if I don't understand the concepts?

If you are struggling to understand the concepts in a physics problem, start by breaking it down into smaller parts. Try to identify which specific concept you are having trouble with and review it. You can also seek help from a teacher, tutor, or classmate, or use online resources such as videos or practice problems to gain a better understanding.

3. What should I do if I get stuck while solving a physics problem?

If you get stuck on a physics problem, take a step back and try to identify where you went wrong. Double check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct formula. If you are still stuck, try approaching the problem from a different angle or seeking help from a teacher or classmate.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

The best way to improve your problem-solving skills in physics is to practice regularly. Work on a variety of problems and try to understand the underlying concepts rather than just memorizing formulas. You can also try to solve problems using different methods and approaches to broaden your understanding.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving physics problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving physics problems include not reading the problem carefully, using incorrect units, and forgetting to include all relevant information. It's also important to double check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct formula for the given problem.