How is the union defined using OR?

• Thread starter Swapnil
  • Start date
In summary, defining OR involves defining the union of two sets, which is done by using the disjunction (OR) of the individual conditions. The disjunction is defined by a truth table that maps 2-tuples of truth values to a truth value. This definition may seem circular, but it ultimately depends on how other logical operations, such as conjunction and implication, are defined.
Swapnil
Defining OR

Given set A and B, the union is defined as

[tex]A\cup B := \{x | x \; \epsilon A \lor x \; \epsilon \; B \}[/tex]

But how is [tex]\lor[/tex] defined?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's defined as or. As in A v B is the condition that A holds, or B holds, or both hold.

But isn't that circular definition? You are defining A OR B as true when either A is true OR B is true OR both are true!

Perhaps this is better. It is a binary function that maps 2-tuples of truth values to a truth value which is false for (0,0) and true otherwise.

Oh, perhaps this is circular.

A | B | A V B
-----------------------------------
T | T | T
T | F | T
F | T | T
F | F | F

verty said:
Perhaps this is better. It is a binary function that maps 2-tuples of truth values to a truth value which is false for (0,0) and true otherwise.

Oh, perhaps this is circular.

I think this is circular too.

Correct me if I am wrong. You define OR as a function [tex]f: (x,y) \to z[/tex] where [tex] x,y,z \; \epsilon \; \{0, 1\}[/tex] satisfying the following property:

[tex](x,y) = (0,0) \Rightarrow z = 0 \land (x,y) \neq (0,0) \Rightarrow z = 1 [/tex]

I guess the circularity of this definition depends on how you define [tex]\land[/tex] and [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex]...

What exactly is circular in the definition?

Swapnil said:
Given set A and B, the union is defined as

[tex]A\cup B := \{x | x \; \epsilon A \lor x \; \epsilon \; B \}[/tex]

But how is [tex]\lor[/tex] defined?

Swapnil said:
But isn't that circular definition? You are defining A OR B as true when either A is true OR B is true OR both are true!

This is not a definition of "A or B"; it is a definition of the union of the sets A and B. This is not a circular definition.

radou said:
What exactly is circular in the definition?
Well... nothing yet. Until you start defining [tex]\land[/tex] and [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex]

Notice that
[tex] p \Rightarrow q : = \lnot p \lor q[/tex]

Last edited:
cristo said:
This is not a definition of "A or B"; it is a definition of the union of the sets A and B. This is not a circular definition.
I was actually talking about the definition of OR as mentioned by DeadWolfe.

Swapnil said:
I was actually talking about the definition of OR as mentioned by DeadWolfe.

Sorry, I read the post incorrectly :blushing:

There is nothing at all 'circular' in any of these definitions. It would have been better written as

(x in A)v(x in B)

to avoid confusion (his A and B are not your A and B). What on Earth do you think the definition of logical OR is if not what was given? V is just another symbol for logical OR.

Do'nt confuse sets with conditions that define the sets: the defining condition for a union of two sets is the disjunction (OR) of the individual conditions.

Last edited:
How on Earth is my definition is circular. I said that v is defined to be or. Not that or is defined to be or. Pay attention.

DeadWolfe said:
How on Earth is my definition is circular. I said that v is defined to be or. Not that or is defined to be or. Pay attention.
But they are the same thing! Call it 'V', or 'OR' or 'or.' It is still a logical OR.

Anyways, say that you do define v to be or. The how do you then define or?

matt grime said:
What on Earth do you think the definition of logical OR is if not what was given? V is just another symbol for logical OR.

Do'nt confuse sets with conditions that define the sets: the defining condition for a union of two sets is the disjunction (OR) of the individual conditions.
I know that. I am just asking how the disjunction (OR) is defined. (I guess I should have never brought sets in my question. And my title was a big mistake too. :blushing: ).

Look at the (expletive deleted) truth table. That is how OR and DISJUNCTION are defined (they are after all just different names for the same thing).

1. What is the difference between a union and an intersection?

A union refers to the combination of two or more sets, where the resulting set contains all the elements from each individual set. An intersection, on the other hand, refers to the shared elements between two or more sets.

2. How are unions and intersections used in mathematics?

Unions and intersections are fundamental concepts in set theory, which is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of sets. These concepts are used to define and perform operations on sets, such as finding common elements or creating new sets from existing ones.

3. Can unions and intersections be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, unions and intersections can be applied to real-world situations in various fields, such as statistics, computer science, and social sciences. For example, in statistics, unions and intersections are used to analyze data sets and identify common characteristics or patterns.

4. What is the symbol used to represent a union or intersection?

The symbol for union is ∪ (cup), and the symbol for intersection is ∩ (cap). These symbols are commonly used in set notation to represent unions and intersections, respectively.

5. Are unions and intersections commutative?

No, unions and intersections are not commutative. This means that the order in which sets are combined or intersected can affect the resulting set. For example, A ∪ B may not be the same as B ∪ A, and A ∩ B may not be the same as B ∩ A.