Earth's diameter is smaller than previously thought

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diameter
In summary: The University of Bonn's 'Project to measure the world'.The world is five millimeters (0.2 inches) smaller than it was estimated to be five years ago, according to German researchers at the University of Bonn. The difference is crucial in the study of climate change, as it can skew information gathered by satellites that measure rises in sea level. The researchers took part in an international project to measure the diameter of the world, and found that the difference was five millimeters (0.2 inches).
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I found this to be quite interesting.

BONN, Germany (AFP) - The world is smaller than first thought, German researchers at the University of Bonn said on Thursday.

They took part in an international project to measure the diameter of the world that showed it is five millimetres (0.2 inches) smaller than the last measurement made five years ago.

Dr Axel Nothnagel, who led the Bonn researchers, told AFP the difference was crucial in the study of climate change.

"It may seem a very small difference, but it is essential for the positioning of the satellites that can measure rises in sea level.

continued

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070705/sc_afp/germanyscience_070705151649

Last edited by a moderator:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
it is essential for the positioning of the satellites that can measure rises in sea level.
Wow, that's awesome, I had never thought of it before.

I was really surprised at how such a tiny difference could skew information.

If i heard this about a year ago I would have been as well, but ever since I read about Chaos theory and Fractal's I'm quite scared about any changes at all! Fractal's are one example of where a tiny change effects the result greatly. Say [itex] f(a_n)= g(a_{n-1})[/itex] in other words, the function uses the previous value to generate the next, then as n approaches infinity, an initial small difference in a_n would be made very large, even though it was a tiny difference.

That's just fractal's, I read about a story concerned one of the discoverers of Chaos Theory. I can't remember the name but the guy was a meteorologist and printed some data, 10 decimals accuracy, that described a weather pattern. He wanted to re-create it later but didn't want his computer to take forever, so instead fed back in the data with 5 decimal places, thinking there would be little difference. To his shock it described a completely different system.

I wonder what the cause of the change could be... The article doesn't seem to say.

If the inner core is cooling slowly and condensing liquid iron from the outer core sinking to the inner core could slowly reduce the size of the Earth and increase the density of the core. As the nuclear energy from radioactive elements runs down the Earth should cool and decrease in size. Does this make sense?

Heh. Fractals in geology...My area of expertise ;)

I can definitely vouch for the fact that minute changes to the accuracy of some input numbers can drastically change outputs! Caused me endless pain trying to figure out why my results were completely obscure. All is well now thankfully :)

http://www.csr.utexas.edu/grace/publications/fact_sheet/3.html

A 5mm difference seems a massive achievement in measurement considering all the variables.

1. What is Earth's diameter?

Earth's diameter is the distance across the widest part of the planet, measuring about 12,742 kilometers (7,917 miles).

2. How was Earth's diameter previously thought to be measured?

Previously, Earth's diameter was thought to be measured at about 12,756 kilometers (7,920 miles), which is only a difference of about 14 kilometers (9 miles).

3. Why is Earth's diameter important to study?

Earth's diameter is important to study because it helps us understand the size and shape of our planet, which has implications for various scientific fields such as geology and geography.

4. How was it discovered that Earth's diameter is smaller than previously thought?

Scientists used advanced technology and techniques, such as satellite data and gravity measurements, to accurately measure Earth's diameter and found that it is slightly smaller than previously thought.

5. Will this new measurement of Earth's diameter have any significant impact?

The small difference in Earth's diameter is not expected to have a significant impact on our understanding of the planet. However, it does show the importance of continuously improving and refining our scientific methods and technology.