How to Correctly Quote Someone in Replies?

• Thread starter rathma
  • Start date
In summary, the quote button is located at the bottom right of each post. You can either hit the quote button and it will put [quote] around the entire post, or you can copy and paste into your post and manually write the quote tags.
rathma
To reiterate my title, how do you quote someone when you want to reply? :confused: I've seen people quote people all the time, but whenever I try it doesn't work the way I told it to. Someone feeling charitable enough to help out a newbie?

Physics news on Phys.org
rathma said:
To reiterate my title, how do you quote someone when you want to reply? :confused: I've seen people quote people all the time, but whenever I try it doesn't work the way I told it to. Someone feeling charitable enough to help out a newbie?
Did you try the 'quote' button at the bottom right of a post?
You can also write (quote)(/quote) around a text yourself, make sure that the brackets are square though.

lol, did you try the "quote" button?
Maybe someone can help me. How do I get this twist-off cap off of my soda? I've tried pulling and sucking but that didn't work. Then I tried licking it until it dissolved but I don't think it's getting any smaller.
I need some hepl. whoops, I mispelled a word. I wanted to write help not hepl. If only there was a button on my keyboard to somehow go back a space. I want to move my cursor a space in the opposite direction of forward. Maybe this button here will do it--NOPE THAT'S NOT IT. WHAT THE HECK? NOW MY LETTERS ARE LOCKED IN CAPS. HOW'D THAT HAPPEN?

Ha. Ha.

Very funny, tribdog. I'm sure you and Monique both feel very proud of yourselves for that one. But what I really meant was once you hit the 'quote' button what do you do? Seriously this time.

rathma said:
Very funny, tribdog. I'm sure you and Monique both feel very proud of yourselves for that one. But what I really meant was once you hit the 'quote' button what do you do? Seriously this time.

Like Monique stated,

If you push the 'quote' button to the bottom right of each post, it will automatically put [ quote ] [ /quote ] (without the spaces) around the entire post. Alternately, you can copy/paste into your own post, and manually write the quote tags in.

Welcome to the forums, rathma!

Don't let tribdog scare you. His bark is worse than his bite :biggrin:

Thanks!

Thanks, enigma. At least you're more informative than certain unnamed parties. (Namely tribdog and Monique :biggrin: )
you can copy/paste into your own post, and manually write the quote tags in.

Welcome to the forums, rathma!

Also thanks for the welcome. (I'll need all the friends I can get :wink: )

Hey now... Monique said the exact same thing that I did!

Tribdog gets thwaked on the nose with a rolled up newspaper for not being friendly to newcomers, though... *stare*

Rathma, Monique was honestly answering your question and not poking fun at you. You will find Monique to be a very nice and helpful person.

tribdog, that was not nice. "hits tribdog on the nose with Motai's sock full of doorknobs"

Welcome Rathma! :smile:

not nice, maybe. but it was funny. sorry rathma, don't take me seriously I'm never trying to be cruel it just comes out that way sometimes.

rathma said:
Thanks, enigma. At least you're more informative than certain unnamed parties. (Namely tribdog and Monique :biggrin: )
Hey now! What did I do? :eek: :confused: so much for feeling charitable..

Enjoy the forums anyway rathma :rolleyes:

I always supsected Monique had a subdued mean streak...

cookiemonster

Rathma,

When you hit the quote button of the post you want to quote, you are taken to the whole post in an editable form. At the end of the quote you will see: [/QUOTE] The backslash inside the brackets indicates that this is the end of the text you are quoting. (The final backslash is found in the terminal brackets of any special function you perform. One of my favorites is to put [/i] after a word, and before it, which makes it show up as italics in the displayed text.) You can delete the terminating backslash in brackets and rewrite it anywhere you want to help you select only a portion of the original post to quote. You simply place it after the word you want to be the last word of the quote.

Likewise the beginning of the quote will be preceeded by brackets containing the word QUOTE and then an equal sign and then the name of the person you are quoting, like this:
zoobyshoe said:
. This can be moved anywhere as well, to select just the specific part of a person's post you want to quote.You just place this directly in front of the first word you want to be quoted.

Once you have selected and properly bracketed the text you want to quote, you can then write your response in the same box underneath the quoted text. When done you hit submit. The whole thing should appear with quote and your response at the end of the thread.

In general, if you ever wonder how someone created a certain effect in their text you can hit the quote button and see what code was used to make the text appear that way.

Check and see how I got the 2 to show up as "squared": E=Mc2.

Let's try bold.

And color.

Last edited:
rathma said:

and speaking of being cruel. I don't know how I feel about being grouped together with Monique. I have a reputation to protect you know

nouw moe :eek:

I didn't say I had a "good" reputation to protect, just a reputation.

I'm new here, this is interesting, I've always wanted to learn how to quote

What is a quote?

A quote is a short phrase or sentence taken from a piece of writing, speech, or conversation that is used to support a point or emphasize a message.

How do you properly cite a quote?

In order to properly cite a quote, you will need to include the author's name, the source or title of the work, the publication date, and the page number where the quote can be found. This information can be formatted in various ways depending on the citation style being used, such as MLA, APA, or Chicago.

Can I change a quote to fit my argument?

No, it is not ethical to change a quote in order to fit your argument. It is important to accurately represent the original intent and message of the quote. If you need to make changes, it is best to use ellipses (...) to indicate any omissions or brackets [ ] to add any clarifications.

How do I know if I need to use a quote?

If you are using someone else's words to support a point or claim in your own work, it is best to use a quote. This shows that you have researched and are using evidence to back up your argument. However, if you are simply summarizing or restating someone else's ideas in your own words, a quote is not necessary.

Can I use a quote from an anonymous source?

Yes, you can use a quote from an anonymous source, but it is important to provide as much context as possible in order to give credit to the original source. This can include the publication or website where the quote was found, and any other relevant information that can help readers understand the quote's source.