Solving Trig Problem with Square Root: [0,2π) Interval | Forum Help Needed

• Thread starter Geekchick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the Geekchick attempted to solve the homework equation 3sinx-3cosx=0 and found that sin x - \frac{4 \pi}{3} = 0, and that x - \frac{4 \pi}{3} = -\pi, with the results in the fundamental circle being the two Geekchick has found.
Geekchick

Homework Statement

[tex]\sqrt{}3[/tex]sinx-3cosx=0 solve in interval [0,2[tex]\pi[/tex])

Homework Equations

reciprocal identities, pythagorean identities, confunction identities, Even/odd identities, sum/difference formulas, double angle formulas, power reducing formulas, half-angle formulas, sum to product formulas, product to sum formulas. I am not sure how many of those are relevant but that's all the identities and formulas I have learned so far.

The Attempt at a Solution

To be quite honest I don't even know where to start with this problem : ( mostly the square root of three is throwing me. I have been trying to solve this for days so if anyone could so much as tell me what formulas or identites to use i would appreciate it. I'm just so lost.

Oh also I'm new to this forum, just found it tonight, so i just want to say hi to everyone!

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\sqrt{3}sinx-3cosx=0 \Rightarrow \sqrt{3}sinx=3cosx[/tex]

Can you divide by cosx and go from there?

Thank you! Thank you! thank you! I didn't even think about the fact that sin/cos is equal to tan duh! *smacks head* I was trying to make things way more complicated. So just to be sure once I divide by cos I'm left with the (square root of 3)tan=3 which after dividing that by the (square root of 3) and simplifying I have tan= square root of 3 which in the interval [0,2pi) means my answer is (pi/3) and (4pi/3). Yay!

Gib Z said:
In general, for things like a sin x +/- b cos x, we can combine them into a single sine term, using something known as the Auxiliary Angle method: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigonometric_identity#Linear_combinations

EDIT: Damn, too late and a longer method. lol

The "auxiliary angle" method is fine -- it's just "overkill" on the equation

a sin x + b cos x = c

in the case where c = 0. When you follow through with it for this problem, you get

[tex]sin(x - \frac{4 \pi}{3}) = 0 \Rightarrow x - \frac{4 \pi}{3} = ..., -\pi, 0, \pi, ...[/tex]

with the results in the fundamental circle being the two Geekchick has found. (I'm just elaborating on this since it's always good to know multiple methods for solving a problem and to confirm that they all give the same answer.)

1. What is a "Trig problem I can't see into"?

A "Trig problem I can't see into" is a term used to describe a trigonometry problem that appears confusing or difficult to solve at first glance.

2. Why are some trigonometry problems difficult to solve?

Trigonometry problems can be difficult to solve because they often involve complex mathematical concepts and require a deep understanding of trigonometric functions and their properties.

3. How can I improve my ability to solve "Trig problems I can't see into"?

To improve your ability to solve difficult trigonometry problems, it is important to have a strong foundation in basic trigonometric concepts and practice solving various types of problems.

4. Are there any tips or tricks for solving "Trig problems I can't see into"?

Yes, some tips for solving difficult trigonometry problems include breaking the problem down into smaller steps, drawing diagrams, and using trigonometric identities and formulas.

5. Where can I find resources to help me with "Trig problems I can't see into"?

There are many online resources and textbooks available to help with difficult trigonometry problems, as well as tutoring services and study groups. It is also helpful to consult with your teacher or peers for guidance and support.