Linear system which is time independent

In summary, it seems that the second equation (controlable using a controller) is time-only while the first equation (not controllable using a controller) is position-only.
gegitur
hi guys,

can a time independent system model be controlled via a controller?
I am assuming that we can obtain a solution for the model at each sample time, just assume that the model is of c= a*u type, i.e u is input which varing with the time. I am confsed...

Physics news on Phys.org
It would help if you would say what you mean by "controlled" and "a controller".

HallsofIvy said:
It would help if you would say what you mean by "controlled" and "a controller".

let say, a an algebraic equation representing a boiler model, what you give is voltage and the output is temperature. Is it possible to control the temperature by just knowing its algebraic form of equation, which is not differential equation but its approximation to an algebraic form.

more clearly,

Q=m.c.delta(T) --> the equation in diff. form would be dQ/dT=m.c.dT/dt,

what I have is something like Q=m.c.delta(T),for this eq. the heater input for example, u, is varying with the time. (I am supposing that I have many many approximated formulas, not their differential forms and I can't have differential form of them)

thank you for your help..

hi guys,

I have sorted out the problem, and this solution has led to a new question. We have had a buch of equations in excel form where there were only time dependent. They were in fact a solution to a differential equation. for exmp:(1)..> dx/dt =x_{2dot}+ a*x_{dot}+c*x and what we have had in excel docs were the solution to above diff. eqns, i.e.(2)..> x(t)=exp(-a*t)+ blah blah..., are the second eq. controllable using a discrete PID or any type of controller? the input to the 2nd equation is time only and the output is let say position.

What is a linear system?

A linear system is a mathematical model that describes the relationship between input and output variables in a linear manner. This means that the output is directly proportional to the input, and the system follows the principles of superposition and homogeneity.

What does it mean for a linear system to be time independent?

A time independent linear system is one in which the input and output variables are not affected by time. This means that the system's behavior and characteristics remain constant over time, regardless of when the input is applied. In other words, the system has a steady-state response.

What are the advantages of studying time independent linear systems?

Studying time independent linear systems allows us to understand and model real-world phenomena in a simplified and organized manner. This can help us make predictions and analyze the behavior of various systems, such as electrical circuits, mechanical systems, and economic systems.

How are time independent linear systems different from time varying systems?

Time independent and time varying systems differ in their response to changes in time. Time independent systems have a constant response, while time varying systems have a response that changes over time. This means that the behavior of time independent systems can be easily analyzed and predicted, while time varying systems may require more complex mathematical models.

What are some applications of time independent linear systems?

Time independent linear systems have a wide range of applications in various fields, including engineering, economics, physics, and biology. They are used to model and analyze systems such as electrical circuits, control systems, economic markets, and biological processes. They also play a crucial role in developing technologies, such as signal processing, image and voice recognition, and machine learning.