How do I find the moment of inertia for a curve?

In summary: Then it should be: I_y= \pho \int_0 ^{0.03} \int_0 ^{2 \pi} \int_0 ^{\frac{y^3}{9}} r^3 dr d\theta dz | y-axis: 3cm y-axis: 3cmIn summary, Pappus' theorems are useful for finding the moment of inertia of a plane figure, like a triangle or rectangle, but they are not useful for finding the moment of inertia of a curve.
rock.freak667
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Say I am given some curve f(x,y) (revolved around some axis), how do I find the moment of inertia about an axis?

I know how to find the moment of inertia of things like a uniform rod, ring and sphere using

[tex]I=\int r^2 dm[/tex]

I believe I am supposed to to pick an elemental piece such that the revolved element is through the axis I want. But if I use I=[itex]\int[/itex]r2 dm, I don't get anywhere.

I've various places that I am to use a double integral or even a triple integral. But I don't know how to set these up to compute the moment of inertia.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you met up with the Theorems of Pappus yet?

Dr.D said:
Have you met up with the Theorems of Pappus yet?

Nope. All they did in class was how to get the moment of inertia of some figure (it escapes me what shape it was). But it was a triple integral, and they just put in the limits and some integrand (how they got it, I know not) and then just put the answer.

All right, then you will have to do something similar. Think in cylindrical coordinates, with the axis of revolution as the polar axis of the cylindrical coordinates. Let's suppose that your given curve is y = f(x). We want to use y as the maximum radius, and x as the z value in the cylindrical coordinate system, so the volume element is

dv = r dr dth dz
where
r is the radius to a point inside the volume, 0<=r<=f(z)
th is the angle theta that measures angle around the z axis, 0<=th<=2*pi
z is the original x value range

Then make your triple integration with all the proper limits and this should give you the volume.

Dr.D said:
All right, then you will have to do something similar. Think in cylindrical coordinates, with the axis of revolution as the polar axis of the cylindrical coordinates. Let's suppose that your given curve is y = f(x). We want to use y as the maximum radius, and x as the z value in the cylindrical coordinate system, so the volume element is

dv = r dr dth dz
where
r is the radius to a point inside the volume, 0<=r<=f(z)
th is the angle theta that measures angle around the z axis, 0<=th<=2*pi
z is the original x value range

Then make your triple integration with all the proper limits and this should give you the volume.

then I must still use the formula I=S r2 p dv (p=rho, S=integral)

what if I need to find the moment of inertia of a plane figure such as a triangle or rectangle?

That is a different problem, solved in a different way. Get through this one for now.

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/1364/picwmz.jpg

I need to find the moment of inertia about the y-axis and in is really cm

So my integrals would be like this:

[tex]I_y= \pho \int_0 ^{0.03} \int_0 ^{2 \pi} \int_0 ^{0.03} r^3 dr d\theta dz[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
In this problem, x is the radius, so solve the curve for x = f(y). Then use that as the upper limit of integration on r.

Dr.D said:
In this problem, x is the radius, so solve the curve for x = f(y). Then use that as the upper limit of integration on r.

Then it should be:

[tex]
I_y= \pho \int_0 ^{0.03} \int_0 ^{2 \pi} \int_0 ^{\frac{y^3}{9}} r^3 dr d\theta dz
[/tex]

But I do not understand how x is the radius here if the curve shows that the x distance is not constant.Also why then would they give the distances 3cm and 3cm (vertically)?

1. What is the definition of moment of inertia for a curve?

The moment of inertia for a curve is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. It is analogous to mass in linear motion and is calculated by summing the products of the mass of each infinitesimal element of the curve and its squared distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How do I calculate the moment of inertia for a curve?

To calculate the moment of inertia for a curve, you will need to use the integral formula: I = ∫r² dm, where r is the distance from the element to the axis of rotation and dm is the mass of the infinitesimal element. This formula can be simplified depending on the shape of the curve, such as for a uniform rod or a hollow cylinder.

3. What is the difference between moment of inertia for a curve and moment of inertia for a point mass?

The moment of inertia for a curve takes into account the distribution of mass along the entire curve, while the moment of inertia for a point mass only considers the mass of a single point. In other words, the moment of inertia for a curve is a measure of the curve's rotational inertia, while the moment of inertia for a point mass is a measure of its resistance to linear motion.

4. How does the shape of a curve affect its moment of inertia?

The shape of a curve can greatly affect its moment of inertia. For example, a thin rod will have a different moment of inertia than a hollow cylinder with the same mass. The distribution of mass and the distance of each element from the axis of rotation are important factors in determining the moment of inertia for a curve.

5. Can the moment of inertia for a curve change?

Yes, the moment of inertia for a curve can change if the distribution of mass along the curve changes. For example, if a rod is bent into a different shape, its moment of inertia will also change. Additionally, if the axis of rotation is changed, the moment of inertia will also change.