Moment of inertia of a rod: axis not through the centre?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the moment of inertia of a meter stick rotating about a vertical axis passing through the 30 cm mark. The solution involves using the parallel axis theorem to find the moment of inertia through the centre and then adjusting for the new axis. The final calculated moment of inertia is 5.43 x 10^-2 kg*m^2.
wizzle
Moment of inertia of a rod: axis not through the centre!?

Homework Statement

A meter stick of mass 0.44 kg rotates, in the horizontal plane, about a vertical
axis passing through the 30 cm mark. What is the moment of inertia of the stick?
(Treat it as a long uniform rod)

Homework Equations

I know that for long uniform rods with length L, if the axis is through the centre, the moment of inertia is (1/12)ML^2. If the axis is through the end, it's (1/3)ML^2.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought it might work to act as though there were two different weights and splitting the mass according to how far each was from the axis since it's a uniform rod (left side = .3 * .44 kg) (right side = .7*.44kg)

Calling the left side, 30 cm to the left of the axis, A, and the right side of the rod, located 70 to the right of the axis, B, here's what I came up with:

Ia: (1/3)(0.132)*(0.3)^2 = 3.96 x 10^-3 kg*m^2

Ib: (1/3)(.308)(.70)^2 = 5.031 x 10^-2 kg*m^2

I = Ia+Ib = 5.43 x 10^-2 kg*m^2

Does that seem logical? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
-Lauren

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Why not just find the moment of inertia through the centre using (1/12)ML2 and then move the axis using the parallel axis theorem?

Hmm...the parallel axis theorem hey? Unfortunately I don't know what that is, but I'm looking it up. Are you referring to Iz=Icom+Md^2?

wizzle said:
Hmm...the parallel axis theorem hey? Unfortunately I don't know what that is, but I'm looking it up. Are you referring to Iz=Icom+Md^2?

Yes that would be it, where Icom is the moment of inertia through the centre and d is the distance from the centre to the new axis.

Great! I calculated I through the centre to be (1/12)ML^2 = (1/12)(.44 kg)(1 m)^2 = 3.67 x 10^-2 kg*m^2.

I then used Iz = Icom + Md^2 = (3.67 x 10^-2 kg*m^2)+(.44 kg)(.2 m)^2 = 5.43 x 10^-2 kg*m^2.

I don't know how to gauge whether that is a reasonable answer. Any chance you can spot a mistake?

Thanks again!

1. What is the moment of inertia of a rod?

The moment of inertia of a rod is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. It is a physical property that describes how difficult it is to change the rotational motion of an object.

2. How is the moment of inertia of a rod calculated?

The moment of inertia of a rod can be calculated by using the formula I = (1/12) * m * L^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the rod, and L is the length of the rod.

3. What does it mean when the axis is not through the centre?

When the axis is not through the centre, it means that the rod is rotating about an axis that is not passing through its centre of mass. This results in a different moment of inertia value compared to when the axis passes through the centre.

4. How does the moment of inertia change when the axis is not through the centre?

The moment of inertia increases when the axis is not through the centre. This is because the mass of the rod is distributed farther from the axis, resulting in a larger moment of inertia value.

5. What factors can affect the moment of inertia of a rod?

The moment of inertia of a rod can be affected by factors such as its length, mass distribution, and the location of the axis of rotation. It can also be affected by external forces, such as torque, acting on the rod.