Deriving y= [x+(x+(sin(x)2))5]3

In summary, the derivative of y=[x+(x+(sin(x))^2)^5]^3 can be found using the power and chain rule combined. Starting from the innermost layer, we can substitute t=x+(x+(sin(x))^2)^5 and find the derivative of t^3. Then, using the chain rule, we can find the derivative of x+(sin(x))^2 and work our way backwards to find the derivative of the original equation.
grollio
Find the derivative of y = [x + (x + (sin(x)2))5]3

I know that power and chain rule combined uses the equation
n[g(x)]n-1 * g'(x)

I don't even really know where to start with so many layers in the equation. I can only find examples with only one power. with my attempt I got

3(5x+(sin(x))2)6 * 2sin(x)cos(x)+1

Physics news on Phys.org
Your resulting expression for the derivative doesn't look correct. These kinds of problems with derivatives are actually very simple if you have some patience and remain consistent with notation. I'll start you off. Let [itex]u_1 = [x + (x + sin^2(x))^5][/itex] then we have that [itex]y = u_1^3[/itex]. Taking the derivative with respect to x we find that,

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = 3u_1 * \frac{du_1}{dx} = 3u_1 \left [\frac{d}{dx}x + \frac{d}{dx}(x + sin^2(x))^5 \right ] [/tex]

Now let [itex]u_2 = x + sin^2(x)[/itex] and try to evaluate the rest from here on out.

grollio said:
I don't even really know where to start with so many layers in the equation.
Don't be intimindated -- just work one layer at a time.

As you work through the calculation, you may find it useful to give temporary names to subexpressions (as jgens has done) to help you focus on the part you're working on.

grollio said:
Find the derivative of y = [x + (x + (sin(x)2))5]3

I know that power and chain rule combined uses the equation
n[g(x)]n-1 * g'(x)

I don't even really know where to start with so many layers in the equation. I can only find examples with only one power. with my attempt I got

3(5x+(sin(x))2)6 * 2sin(x)cos(x)+1

Start by substituting t=x + (x + (sin(x)2))5

y=t3

Now y' = (t3)' * t'

(t3)' is easy to find. The only problem is t' =x' + ((x + (sin(x))2)5)'

x' is easy to find.

Now your problem is z=x + (sin(x))2.

Again find the derivate using the chain rule, and go forward. After nothings left, you will go backward and find the derivative of the equation.

Regards.

1. What is the purpose of the equation y= [x+(x+(sin(x)2))5]3?

The purpose of this equation is to model a complex mathematical relationship between the variables x and y. It likely represents a specific scenario or phenomenon that the scientist is studying.

2. How do you derive the equation y= [x+(x+(sin(x)2))5]3?

The equation can be derived using a combination of algebraic manipulation and calculus techniques such as the chain rule and power rule. The specific steps will depend on the starting point and the goal of the derivation.

3. What are the variables and constants in this equation?

The variables in this equation are x and y, while the constants are the numerical values used for the operations of addition, multiplication, and exponentiation.

4. Can this equation be simplified or rewritten in a different form?

Yes, this equation can be simplified or rewritten in a variety of ways depending on the needs of the scientist. For example, they may choose to factor out common terms, expand the brackets, or rewrite it in terms of trigonometric functions.

5. What is the significance of the repeated use of the sine function in this equation?

The repeated use of the sine function suggests that the equation may involve a periodic phenomenon or have a sinusoidal pattern. It could also indicate a relationship with angles or waves. Further analysis would be needed to fully understand the significance of the sine function in this equation.