How can I balance this reaction using oxidation-reduction?

• Thread starter the pro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Balance
In summary, the conversation discusses the balancing of a redox reaction involving BCl3 and H2O2. The participants suggest starting with balancing the individual half-cells for electrons and then balancing for atoms. There is also discussion about the role of B in the reaction and how it is not involved in the redox process. The conversation ends with one participant mentioning that the reaction cannot be balanced using valence numbers.
the pro

Homework Statement

BCl3+H2O2>>H3
BO3+HCl

Homework Equations

need to balanc it

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
That appears to be redox so you could start from the individual half-cells and balance first for the electrons. A sensible result might still be found just using balancing of numbers of atoms using the unbalanced reactants and products.

Try this: You see 3 chlorines on the left, and you see only 1 chlorine on the right. What must you do about this? What does this do the your balance of hydrogens? What more or next can you do?

symbolipoint said:
That appears to be redox so you could start from the individual half-cells and balance first for the electrons. A sensible result might still be found just using balancing of numbers of atoms using the unbalanced reactants and products.

Try this: You see 3 chlorines on the left, and you see only 1 chlorine on the right. What must you do about this? What does this do the your balance of hydrogens? What more or next can you do?

i now this i made this but the problem is at (B) i can't balance this but i need to make this with an oxidation and reducation sorry for my english .i tryed this also with valenc numbers but it dosent work

B is neither reduced nor oxidized, BCl3 just hydrolyses. The only redox here is hydrogen peroxide decomposition. This can be classifed as disproportionation reaction.

--
methods

o.0 thanks got it now u right borek about BCl but i was thinkin of the preoxid and HCl about their valenz but i have it now

The linewrapping distracted me and I analyzed the reaction incorrectly. At my end, the H3 ended the line and the next stuff continued on a new line and I mistook what was seen. Not very careful thinking.

symbolipoint said:
The linewrapping distracted me and I analyzed the reaction incorrectly. At my end, the H3 ended the line and the next stuff continued on a new line and I mistook what was seen. Not very careful thinking.

yeh i now that's why i said it needs to be done with a oxido reduction beacuse it dident worked in this form

What is balancing?

Balancing is the process of achieving a state of equilibrium or stability between two or more variables.

Why is balancing important?

Balancing is important because it allows for efficient and effective functioning of systems. It ensures that all components are working together in harmony and prevents any one variable from overpowering the others.

How do you balance something?

The process of balancing involves identifying the variables involved, understanding their relationships and then making adjustments to achieve a desired state of balance. This may involve adding or removing certain factors, or changing the intensity or frequency of certain actions.

What are the consequences of not balancing?

If a system is not balanced, it can lead to inefficiency, instability, and in some cases, failure. For example, in the human body, an imbalance of nutrients can lead to health issues. In a machine, an imbalance of components can cause malfunction or breakdown.

Can balancing be achieved in all situations?

No, balancing may not be possible in certain situations, especially when dealing with complex systems. However, efforts should still be made to minimize imbalances and maintain a level of stability and harmony within the system.