What is the best starter book to learn chemistry?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a good introductory chemistry book for a friend's upcoming birthday. Suggestions are given, including Zumdahl's "Chemistry" for a clear and basic introduction, Joe Schwarcz's books for a fun and easy read, and John Emsley's books for a slightly more advanced level. Other recommendations include "Why Chemical Reactions Happen" and Linus Pauling's "General Chemistry" for those with a strong math and physics background. The conversation concludes with the recommendation of Joe Schwarcz's books for their entertaining and informative anecdotes about the chemistry of everyday life.
spghost22
A friend of mine is interested in chemistry and has an upcoming birthday. I want to get her a starter book but personally have no idea where to start. If anyone could refer me something it would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking for something that would outline the basics and really show her weather or not it is a field she would be interested in pursuing a career in. Thanks again for any input.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
My favorite introductory chemistry book is Zumdahl's "Chemistry". Any edition will do. It provides a clear and good introduction to what would be taught in an introductory class.

But if you want a book that will get her excited about chemistry, maybe this wouldn't be the best choice.

I would advise any book by Joe Schwarcz if they are just getting into Chemistry and want some fun reading.

If they want something a little bit more advanced, but not too advanced i.e AS Level, go for books by John Emsley.

If they are at A2/Uni standard get 'Why Chemical Reactions Happen', but i can't remember who it is by.

I used Zumdahl too back in the day.

Linus Pauling's General Chemistry is really good, though there is some much higher level math in that book. If you have a decent math and physics background, I'd recommend that one.

Kracatoan said:
I would advise any book by Joe Schwarcz if they are just getting into Chemistry and want some fun reading.

If they want something a little bit more advanced, but not too advanced i.e AS Level, go for books by John Emsley.

If they are at A2/Uni standard get 'Why Chemical Reactions Happen', but i can't remember who it is by.

This is kind of the thing I'm looking for, something that will give her some fun while reading. Are there any particular books you would recommend? Something at a very basic level. And thank you to everyone for your responses.

The 4 I enjoyed most by Joe Schwarcz were -

The Genie In The Bottle
The Fly In The Ointment
That's The Way The Cookie Crumbles
Radar, Hula-Hoops and Playful Pigs

All of which have 60-70 mini anecdotes about the chemistry of normal life.

1. What are the essential topics that should be covered in a starter book for learning chemistry?

The best starter book for learning chemistry should cover fundamental concepts such as atomic structure, chemical bonding, and the periodic table. It should also include topics like stoichiometry, gas laws, and basic thermodynamics.

2. Is it better to learn chemistry through a textbook or online resources?

It ultimately depends on personal preference. Textbooks provide a more comprehensive and structured approach to learning, while online resources offer more interactive and visual learning experiences. It is recommended to use a combination of both for a well-rounded understanding of chemistry.

3. Should I have a strong math background before starting to learn chemistry?

Having a basic understanding of algebra is helpful for learning chemistry, as many concepts involve mathematical calculations. However, most starter books will provide a review of necessary math skills.

4. Are there any recommended starter books for specific areas of chemistry?

Yes, there are many starter books available that cater to specific areas of chemistry, such as organic chemistry, biochemistry, or physical chemistry. It is best to choose a book that aligns with your specific interests and goals.

5. How can I make the most out of using a starter book for learning chemistry?

It is recommended to actively engage with the material by taking notes, doing practice problems, and seeking clarification on any confusing concepts. It is also helpful to supplement your learning with other resources, such as videos or study groups.