What was the velocity of the Honda

• Thread starter tica86
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the Honda, with a mass of 1500 kg, collides elastically with a BMW with a mass of 2000 kg. The resulting velocity of the Honda is unknown and is represented as V. The Honda then collides inelastically with a Hummer with a mass of 3000 kg, resulting in a final velocity of 3 m/s for both vehicles. Using the equation V=MA/MA+MB, the velocity of the Honda after the first collision and before hitting the Hummer can be calculated to be approximately 9.09 m/s. This calculation assumes that the initial velocity of the BMW is 0 m/s.
tica86
In a chain reaction car accident on the North-South tollway, a BMW with a mass of 2000 kg collides elastically with a Honda Civic (mass 1500 kg) at rest. The Honda in turn collides with a Hummer of mass 3000 kg in front of it, that’s also at rest, and the Honda and the Hummer lock bumpers and slide forward with a velocity of 3 m/s. (The BMW that originated the chain of events is not involved in the second collision). What was the velocity of the Honda right after the first collision and before it hits the Hummer?

My attempt: V=MA/MA+MB

(2000kg)(0m/s)+(1500)(3m/s)+(3000kg)(3m/s) / 1500kg+3000kg
Is this correct??

Physics news on Phys.org

My attempt: V=MA/MA+MB
Can't have this - units of m/s on the left, kg on the last term on the right.
So, there is an elastic collision and then an inelastic collision, ending up with speed 3. Which collision will you start with? What equation(s) apply to each collision?

Delphi51 said:
Can't have this - units of m/s on the left, kg on the last term on the right.
So, there is an elastic collision and then an inelastic collision, ending up with speed 3. Which collision will you start with? What equation(s) apply to each collision?

You would start with the elastic collision? I don't understand which equation to use

I am reluctant to say which end I would start at! Far better for you to see which way to go. I think you will when you write out the equations.

Do you know what principle applies to all collisions?
And which one applies only to elastic collisions?
These should be easy to find in your textbook or in
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/conser.html#cons
Once you know the conservation law(s) that apply, you will be able to write equations for them. I suggest a diagram with appropriate names for things like the speed and mass of the Honda, etc.

Delphi51 said:
I am reluctant to say which end I would start at! Far better for you to see which way to go. I think you will when you write out the equations.

Do you know what principle applies to all collisions?
And which one applies only to elastic collisions?
These should be easy to find in your textbook or in
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/conser.html#cons
Once you know the conservation law(s) that apply, you will be able to write equations for them. I suggest a diagram with appropriate names for things like the speed and mass of the Honda, etc.

Is it 9.09?

I got a number close to that, but not the same.
Did you start with the last collision? Equation?

What was the velocity of the Honda?

The velocity of the Honda refers to the speed and direction at which the car was moving. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

How is velocity calculated?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. It is represented by the equation v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is distance, and t is time.

Can velocity change?

Yes, velocity can change if there is a change in speed or direction of the object's motion. This change is known as acceleration, and it can be either positive (increasing velocity) or negative (decreasing velocity).

What factors can affect the velocity of a car?

The velocity of a car can be affected by various factors, including the car's engine power, the terrain it is driving on, air resistance, and any external forces acting on the car such as friction or gravity.

Why is velocity an important concept in science?

Velocity is an important concept in science because it helps us understand how objects move and interact with each other. It is a fundamental concept in physics and is used in many fields such as engineering, astronomy, and mechanics.