DECT 6.0 cordless phone and Wireless Internet - interference?

In summary: Have you tried plugging the phone in to different outlets in your home or office? Also, have you tried resetting the phone (hold down the reset button until the phone says "reset now" and release it)? This sometimes clears up problems with the phone settings.
steveausten55
Hello

I just bought a new Panasonic DECT 6.0 cordless phone set (4 handsets) and recently subscribed to high speed DSL internet from my phone company.

On my old corded/wired phones the phone connection audio qulaity was crystal clear.

On the new DECT 6.0 cordless phones << Link removed by Moderator >> I am getting what I would describe as low to moderate static.

I think (not sure..) that the phone company gavce me a "DSL filter" (??) to cut down on this (its a plastic splitter type thing plugged into phone jack in wall and has two inputs one for modem and one for phone)

This statis is on all 4 handsets and I even tried a different brand/different V-Tech 4 handset set - same thing.

My question to the forum is:

1. Is this normal for DECT cordless phones?

2. If no, how can I fix this?

Many thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
steveausten55 said:
Hello

I just bought a new Panasonic DECT 6.0 cordless phone set (4 handsets) and recently subscribed to high speed DSL internet from my phone company.

On my old corded/wired phones the phone connection audio qulaity was crystal clear.

On the new DECT 6.0 cordless phones << Link removed by Moderator >> I am getting what I would describe as low to moderate static.

I think (not sure..) that the phone company gavce me a "DSL filter" (??) to cut down on this (its a plastic splitter type thing plugged into phone jack in wall and has two inputs one for modem and one for phone)

This statis is on all 4 handsets and I even tried a different brand/different V-Tech 4 handset set - same thing.

My question to the forum is:

1. Is this normal for DECT cordless phones?

2. If no, how can I fix this?

Many thanks

Welcome to the PF.

Your post got caught by our spam filter software, because of the commercial link that you posted in your first post here.

I've deleted the commercial link, and will instead link to the wikipedia article about Digital Enhanced Cordless Telecommunications phones:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Enhanced_Cordless_Telecommunications

Does the interference increase when you are using the DSL digital link (browsing the Internet, for example)?

DECT 6.0 should be using 1.9 GHz band, while WiFi (and other phones, bluetooth, microwaves, etc.) use the 2.4 GHz band:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Enhanced_Cordless_Telecommunications#DECT_6.0

Have you tried moving the phone base station to another jack? It could just be a loose / corroded jack at that particular location. To confirm this, can you try the same location with your corded phone?

It may also be line noise on the circuit where you're plugging in your power outlet, but most adapters should be able to smooth that out.

1. What is DECT 6.0 technology and how does it work?

DECT 6.0 (Digital Enhanced Cordless Telecommunications) is a wireless technology used for cordless phones, baby monitors, and other communication devices. It operates in the 1.9 GHz frequency band and uses a digital spread spectrum technique to transmit voice and data signals. This results in clearer sound quality, less interference, and better range compared to older cordless phone technologies.

2. Can DECT 6.0 cordless phones interfere with wireless internet?

Yes, DECT 6.0 cordless phones and wireless internet can interfere with each other. This is because they both operate in the 1.9 GHz frequency band and may share some of the same channels. This interference can result in slower internet speeds and dropped calls on the cordless phone. However, newer DECT 6.0 devices have features to reduce interference, such as dynamic channel selection and adaptive power control.

3. How can I reduce interference between my DECT 6.0 phone and wireless internet?

There are a few steps you can take to reduce interference between your DECT 6.0 phone and wireless internet. One option is to use a DECT 6.0 phone with advanced features that automatically adjust the frequency and power settings to avoid interference. Another option is to use a wireless internet router that operates on a different frequency band, such as 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz. Additionally, keeping the phone base and router at least 6 feet apart can also help reduce interference.

4. Is it safe to use a DECT 6.0 cordless phone and wireless internet at the same time?

Yes, it is safe to use a DECT 6.0 cordless phone and wireless internet at the same time. DECT 6.0 technology has been extensively tested and deemed safe for use in households. Additionally, the power levels of these devices are regulated by government agencies to ensure they do not cause harm to humans.

5. Can other electronic devices cause interference with DECT 6.0 cordless phones and wireless internet?

Yes, other electronic devices can cause interference with DECT 6.0 cordless phones and wireless internet. Some common culprits include microwave ovens, Bluetooth devices, and older cordless phones operating on the same frequency band. To reduce interference, it is best to keep these devices away from the phone base and wireless router, or switch to devices that operate on different frequency bands.