Solving a PDE using multiple transforms

In summary, the conversation discusses a PDE and its initial conditions, as well as the use of Laplace and Fourier transforms to solve it. The speaker considers the behavior of the solution at large x and suggests using the method of images to determine the unknown constants in the solution. However, there are concerns about the uniqueness of the solution and the difficulty of taking inverse transforms.
hunt_mat
Homework Helper
Suppose I have the PDE:
[tex]
\frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial x^{2}}+\frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial y^{2}}=\frac{1}{c^{2}} \frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial t^{2}}
[/tex]
with
[tex]
u(0,x,y)=\partial_{t}u(0,x,y)=0
[/tex]
along with [itex]u(t,0,y)=f(y)[/itex] With [itex]x\geqslant 0[/itex]. My initial thoughts were to take the Laplace transform in t and the Fourier transform in y to get:
[tex]
\frac{\partial^{2}\hat{u}_{L}}{\partial x^{2}}-\left( k^{2}+\frac{s^{2}}{c^{2}}\right) \hat{u}_{L}=0
[/tex]
The hat donates the Fourier transform and the subscript L denotes the Laplace transform. Treating this as a standard ODE to obtain:
[tex]
\hat{u}_{L}=Ae^{x\sqrt{k^{2}+s^{2}c^{-2}}}+Be^{-x\sqrt{k^{2}+s^{2}c^{-2}}}
[/tex]
Setting x=0 will show us that:
[tex]
A+B=\hat{f}_{L}
[/tex]
I have no other way of determining the other constant (this comes from a question in a book) and I have no idea how to get another boundary condition. I am also concerned about how to do my contour integral when I compute my inverse Laplace transform.

Any suggestions.

Physics news on Phys.org
hunt_mat said:
Any suggestions.

Perhaps consider the behaviour of your solution at large x?

I thought about that but it's a wave equation without damping, so physically that doesn't make sense, however I think that as c is the wave speed that for x>ct, the value should be zero and hence the solution has another condition:
[tex]
u(t,ct,y)=0
[/tex]
I would have to take the Laplace transform of this which I am not too sure how to do.

Isn't another common procedure with such problems to consider it on the whole real line of x-values, and then notice that both the PDE and initial condition are symmetric in x? And from this conclude that the solution also has to be symmetric under the transformation x <-> -x ?

In your case this would lead to A=B, no?

Torquil

Normally yes (I think) but the problem specifically says that the region is [itex]x\geqslant 0[/itex], so i don't think that we can apply that argument

I suspect that you can. Isn't that the whole point of the so-called "method of images"? Your problem would be the restriction to x >= 0 of the symmetric problem on the whole real line of x-values. I'm not ruling out that I can be wrong, though... :-)

Torquil

True enough, I will have a go and see if I get the right answer. So you suggestion means that [itex]A=B=\hat{f}_{L}/2[/itex] right?

I would guess so. I haven't really "gone over" your other math leading up to the expressions with A and B, though.

Btw, I think that my guess about using images assumes that both situations have a unique solution. That is not always the case for all PDEs. I've seen some cases where a unique solution is only obtained after imposing e.g. a restriction on the growth of the solution at large x. If solutions are not unique in your case, you might need to impose such a condition, e.g. large-x behaviour would then imply A=0.

This is like saying that you are searching for solutions within some more restricted function space, which could be bounded functions, L^2 functions, etc.

I don't really remember much about the theorems on uniqueness of solutions for the different PDEs...

Anyway, good luck!

Getting the unknown constants is one problem but taking the inverse transforms in another matter entirely.

What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is a mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. It describes how a physical quantity, such as temperature or pressure, changes with respect to multiple independent variables, such as time and space.

What is a transform?

A transform is a mathematical operation that converts one function into another. It is often used to simplify complex equations or to solve difficult problems. In the context of solving PDEs, transforms are used to change the equation into a more manageable form.

What are multiple transforms?

Multiple transforms refer to the use of more than one transform in the process of solving a PDE. This approach is often used when a single transform is not sufficient to solve the equation, or when it is more efficient to use a combination of transforms.

What are some common transforms used in solving PDEs?

Some common transforms used in solving PDEs include the Fourier transform, Laplace transform, and the Hankel transform. These transforms are used to convert the PDE into an algebraic equation, which can then be solved using standard mathematical techniques.

What are the benefits of using multiple transforms in solving PDEs?

Using multiple transforms can often lead to a more efficient and accurate solution to a PDE. It can also help to simplify complex equations and make them easier to solve. Additionally, using multiple transforms can provide a deeper understanding of the underlying physical phenomenon described by the PDE.