What is the chemical reaction with copper?

In summary: Reaction will not happen if the solution is not in contact with air. If the solution is in contact with air, it will result in the oxidation of the copper wire and a gas. The gas could be hydrogen gas or oxygen gas. The copper discolors. Keep up the good work!
oem7110
Copper + NaCl + H20 = >> ?
Does anyone have any suggestions on what chemical reaction will occur in above example?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Why do you think there will be a reaction?

Please note: if it is a homework, you are breaking forum rules again.

Borek said:
Why do you think there will be a reaction?

Please note: if it is a homework, you are breaking forum rules again.

This is not a homework, but I would like to know this chemical reaction, that is all.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Nothing will happen.

Dr_Morbius said:
Nothing will happen.

I am not talking about what happen is within 5 seconds, what happen is on the next 3 months?
Does anyone have any suggestions?

If the solution is not in contact with air, nothing will happen. If the solution is in contact with air, it will be not a reaction between copper, water and sodium chloride.

Borek said:
If the solution is not in contact with air, nothing will happen. If the solution is in contact with air, it will be not a reaction between copper, water and sodium chloride.

So what happen if the solution is in contact with air?

I actually tried this today, except I also applied approximately a 6V potential to it. I got oxidation of the copper wire I was using and a gas. I am not sure what the gas was. At first I thought it was H2 gas from the water being electrolyzed (which I was trying to do), but there was not enough gas coming out of the positive end for that to be it I do not think. I checked the pH and insofar as litmus paper is accurate, it had remained a neutral solution.

epsaliba said:
I actually tried this today, except I also applied approximately a 6V potential to it. I got oxidation of the copper wire I was using and a gas. I am not sure what the gas was. At first I thought it was H2 gas from the water being electrolyzed (which I was trying to do), but there was not enough gas coming out of the positive end for that to be it I do not think. I checked the pH and insofar as litmus paper is accurate, it had remained a neutral solution.

It looks like you are beginning to answer questions yourself. How could you test for H2? What other possible gases could it be, if not H2? Did the copper discolor? Keep it up!

1. What is the chemical formula for copper?

The chemical formula for copper is Cu.

2. What is the most common chemical reaction with copper?

The most common chemical reaction with copper is oxidation, where it reacts with oxygen to form copper oxide (CuO).

3. What happens when copper reacts with acids?

When copper reacts with acids, it undergoes a redox reaction where it is oxidized and forms a copper compound, such as copper sulfate (CuSO4).

4. Is copper reactive or non-reactive?

Copper is considered a moderately reactive metal. It can react with certain substances, such as oxygen and acids, but it is not as reactive as metals like sodium or potassium.

5. How does copper react with water?

Copper does not react with water at room temperature. However, it can react with steam to form copper oxide and hydrogen gas.