Can the Selection Rule Δl = ±1 Be Applied to Helium Transitions?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the selection rule for transitions in Helium. The rule states that ΔS=0 and Δl = ±1, but the person is confused about how this rule can be applied in Helium where there is an electrostatic interaction and two electrons. They mention a textbook that uses Einstein's A and B coefficients and the wavefunction of hydrogen to derive the rule.
Niles
Hi

I am reading about transition in Helium, and I have come across a question. It is clear that triplet-singlet transition are not allowed, i.e. ΔS=0. But in my book (Foot's Atomic Physics) it says that Δl = ±1. This is what I don't understand. The selection rule Δl = ±1 we derived for Hydrogen, where there was no electrostatic interaction and only a single electron making the transition. In Helium we *do* have an electrostatic interaction and two electrons -- then how can we reuse Δl = ±1 again?Niles.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In a textbook I find that the rule of transition can be deducted by Einstein's A,B cofficients,and use the wavefunction of hydrogen.

1. What are selection rules for helium?

The selection rules for helium refer to the restrictions on the possible transitions between energy levels in the helium atom. These rules dictate which transitions are allowed and forbidden based on conservation laws such as energy, momentum, and angular momentum.

2. Why are selection rules important for studying helium?

Selection rules are important for understanding the behavior of helium atoms and their interactions with electromagnetic radiation. They allow scientists to predict the outcome of experiments and make sense of the observed spectral lines in helium.

3. How do selection rules differ for different types of transitions in helium?

The selection rules for different types of transitions in helium, such as electronic, vibrational, and rotational, can vary. However, they all follow the same general principles of energy, momentum, and angular momentum conservation.

4. Can selection rules be violated in helium?

While selection rules are typically followed in most cases, they can be violated under certain conditions. For example, in highly excited states of helium, the rules may be relaxed due to the overlapping of energy levels.

5. How do selection rules for helium compare to other atoms?

The selection rules for helium are similar to those for other atoms, as they are based on the same fundamental principles of conservation laws. However, the specific rules may differ depending on the atomic structure and energy levels of each element.