Solution to quadratic equation doesn't look right

In summary, the problem states that a pitcher throws a ball with an initial speed of 5 feet/second towards a wall 85 feet away. The ball also experiences an acceleration of 32 feet/sec^2. The question is asking for the time it takes for the ball to hit the wall. However, some of the given information seems unrealistic and lacks grounding in reality. The ball's initial speed is only about 3.4 miles per hour and it will fall approximately 4600 feet during its flight, making it unlikely that it will actually reach the wall. It may be helpful to break the problem into horizontal and vertical components to better understand the ball's motion.
hatelove

Homework Statement

A pitcher throws a ball towards a wall that's 85 feet away from him. The ball's initial speed is 5 feet/second, and the acceleration of the ball is 32 feet/sec^2. How long does the ball travel before hitting the wall?

Homework Equations

distance = rate * time

The Attempt at a Solution

So the speed of the ball I have as:

[t = time]

5 + 32t

Which I believe makes sense because the ball is initially traveling @ 5 ft/sec, and after 1 second, the ball is traveling 37 ft/sec, then after 2 seconds the ball is traveling @ 69 ft.sec, etc.

I assume we use d = rt (which is distance = rate * time).

So the total distance the ball travels is 85 feet which is equal to the total rate of 5 + 32t * time. The equation I set up like this:

85 = (5 + 32t) * t

I set up the quadratic like so:

32t^2 + 5t - 85 = 0

I solved it and got:

(1/64) * (sqrt(10905) - 5) which is approx. 1.55.

I worked it out to check, and 1.55 seconds is much too low for the value:

5 feet + (32 feet * 2 seconds) = 69 feet

So after 2 seconds, the ball has only traveled 69 feet, while the quadratic equation states that the ball has traveled 85 feet after 1.55 seconds.

What gives?

Physics news on Phys.org
hatelove said:
So the speed of the ball I have as:

[t = time]

5 + 32t

hatelove said:
5 feet + (32 feet * 2 seconds) = 69 feet

So after 2 seconds, the ball has only traveled 69 feet, while the quadratic equation states that the ball has traveled 85 feet after 1.55 seconds.

What gives?
You're forgetting that 5+32t represents speed, not distance.

hatelove said:
A pitcher throws a ball towards a wall that's 85 feet away from him. The ball's initial speed is 5 feet/second, and the acceleration of the ball is 32 feet/sec^2. How long does the ball travel before hitting the wall?
This sounds like a made-up problem that doesn't have much connection to reality. After the ball leaves the pitcher's hand, the only acceleration on it is due to gravity, which acts straight down. Maybe the ball happens to have a propellor or rocket motor attached? Is this the exact wording of the problem?

Because this is a two dimensional problem. you should break it into horizontal and vertical components. As Mark44 said there is an acceleration of -9.81 m/s^2 in the vertical direction and no acceleration in the horizontal direction.

HallsofIvy said:
Because this is a two dimensional problem. you should break it into horizontal and vertical components. As Mark44 said there is an acceleration of -9.81 m/s^2 in the vertical direction and no acceleration in the horizontal direction.

Or since he's using feet and seconds, an acceleration of about -32 ft/s^2 vertical and 0 horizontal.

hatelove said:
As I said before, this is really a flaky problem, with almost no grounding in reality. I still wonder if the OP is showing the correct statement for this problem.

Has anyone noticed that the ball's speed is 5 ft/sec? That works out to about 3.4 mi/hr. If I start walking toward the wall at the same time the ball is thrown, I'll get there first (I can walk faster than 3.4 mph).

Furthermore, I can't imagine any scenario in which the ball would actually get to the wall, inasmuch as it will fall ~4600 ft during its flight.

1. Why is my solution to the quadratic equation giving me a complex number?

There are a few reasons why your solution may involve a complex number. One possibility is that the discriminant (b^2 - 4ac) is negative, which means that the roots of the equation are imaginary. Another possibility is that you may have made a mistake in your calculations. Make sure to double check your work and consider using a calculator or computer program to solve the equation.

2. Can there be more than two solutions to a quadratic equation?

No, a quadratic equation can only have two solutions at most. This is because a quadratic equation is a polynomial of degree 2, which means it can have at most two roots. If you are getting more than two solutions, it is likely that you have made an error in your calculations or that the equation is not truly quadratic.

3. Why is one of my solutions positive and the other negative?

This could be due to the nature of the quadratic equation. The sign of the solutions depends on the values of the coefficients and the nature of the equation. For example, if the leading coefficient is positive, the curve will open upwards and the solutions will have opposite signs. If the leading coefficient is negative, the curve will open downwards and the solutions will have the same sign.

4. Can I have a solution to the quadratic equation that is equal to zero?

Yes, it is possible to have a solution that is equal to zero. In fact, this is often the case for equations in the form of x^2 = k, where k is a constant. In this case, the solutions are x = +√k and x = -√k. However, it is important to note that a quadratic equation can only have two solutions at most.

5. Why does my solution to the quadratic equation involve fractions or decimals?

Sometimes, the solutions to a quadratic equation may involve fractions or decimals. This is because the coefficients of the equation may not be whole numbers, and the solutions must be expressed as such. It is important to simplify the solutions as much as possible, but it is also acceptable to leave them as fractions or decimals if they cannot be simplified further.