MCNP Input of Voxel Arrays and Their Universes

In summary, the code is trying to find a surface with a given particle number, but is getting stuck because the surface has no fill.
njm
Hi
I have problems in mcnp input of voxels. I define a voxel arrays and their universes,for example universe1 is defined as:
2001 43 -1.030 -70 u=1 vol=6.795352
but in runing I have below error:
fatal error.the surface type is not recognized: -1.03
While 1.03 is the density of material43!

Can anyone help me?

Engineering news on Phys.org
njm said:
Hi
I have problems in mcnp input of voxels. I define a voxel arrays and their universes,for example universe1 is defined as:
2001 43 -1.030 -70 u=1 vol=6.795352
but in runing I have below error:
fatal error.the surface type is not recognized: -1.03
While 1.03 is the density of material43!

Can anyone help me?

It sounds like you are trying to define a cell card in the surfaces section. Do you have an extra line break somewhere?

oh yes!
thank you very much

Now I have this error:
zero lattice element hit.
what is it?!
How can I solved it?!

Last edited:
Thanks you so much for your help.

Yrrepy said:
if you have a zero lattice element hit: it usually means you have a geometry error, overlapping cells, mis-defined cell surfaces etc

check out this primer

at the end is an excellent summary of common problems and their solutions

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...W1oaVs&usg=AFQjCNHBUq22eV7EEAikLl32QV2VWK3LnQ

I am having the similar problems while running my script. I get this error

bad trouble in subroutine newcel of mcrun
source particle no. 2804404
starting random number = 132729341823053
zero lattice element hit.
run terminated because of bad trouble.

I suspect it has to do with something the code says before it starts that surface 42 appears more than once in a chain.
Does anyone have an idea of what it could be? And also the link to that primer doesn't work does anyone have a new link to it?

Hi,
I am trying to do similar , but first I must learn basic stuff...
When I try to run code (down below) i get fatal error cell 2 have no fill?

1 1 -1 -1 fill=1 imp:n=1
2 1 -1 -2 lat=1 u=1 imp:n=1
3 0 1 imp:n=0

1 box -5 -5 -10 10 0 0 0 10 0 0 0 20
c 1 REC 0 0 0 0 0 70 20 0 0 0 10 0
2 box -5 -5 -10 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1
c box -1 -1 -1 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1

m1 94239.66c 1.0
c tally
f4:n 1 (2<2[0:9 0:9 0:19])
sdef pos .1 .1 .1
print

Any tips?

Cheers..

1. What is MCNP input of voxel arrays and their universes?

MCNP input of voxel arrays and their universes is a method used in Monte Carlo N-Particle (MCNP) simulations to represent complex geometries and materials in a three-dimensional format. It involves assigning specific properties (e.g. density, composition) to individual voxels within an array, which can then be used to create a detailed representation of a system or object for simulation.

2. How is MCNP input of voxel arrays and their universes different from other methods of geometry modeling?

MCNP input of voxel arrays and their universes is different from other methods of geometry modeling in that it allows for a more detailed and realistic representation of complex systems. Other methods, such as simple geometric shapes or mesh-based models, may not be able to capture the intricacies and variations in material properties that voxel arrays can.

3. What are the advantages of using MCNP input of voxel arrays and their universes?

There are several advantages to using MCNP input of voxel arrays and their universes, including the ability to accurately represent complex systems, the flexibility to adjust the resolution of the voxels for different parts of the system, and the ability to easily incorporate different materials and their properties into the simulation.

4. What are some limitations of MCNP input of voxel arrays and their universes?

One limitation of using MCNP input of voxel arrays and their universes is the potential for large memory and storage requirements, as the detailed representation of the system can result in a large number of voxels. Additionally, the process of creating the voxel array and assigning properties to each voxel can be time-consuming and may require specialized software.

5. How is MCNP input of voxel arrays and their universes used in scientific research?

MCNP input of voxel arrays and their universes is commonly used in various scientific fields, including nuclear engineering, medical physics, and radiation protection. It allows researchers to simulate and study the behavior of complex systems, such as nuclear reactors or human tissues, under different conditions and scenarios.