What is the latest on the Group Extension Problem?

In summary: Besides the definition of a split extension, I don't know of a general way to determine whether an extension splits or not, and as I'm not really an expert in this I don't really know what progress has been made towards the general extension problem. However, there is an interesting special case that is completely solved, namely that of classifying extensions by abelian groups:When we have an extension 1 → A → E → G → 1 with A abelian, we get a homomorphism G → Aut(A) given by conjugation. (Precisely, if p: E → G is the given map, and we consider A to be contained in E, then an element g ∈ G gives an autom
lugita15
Let K be a finite group and H be a finite simple group. (A simple group is a group with no normal subgroups other than {1} and itself, sort of like a prime number.) Then the group extension problem asks us to find all the extensions of K by H: that is, to find every finite group G such that there exists a normal subgroup K' of G isomorphic to K and the quotient group G/K' is isomorphic to H.

It's pretty easy to show that, starting with the trivial group {1}, it only takes a finite number of extensions by finite simple groups to get to literally ANY finite group. And since we recently finished classifying all the finite simple groups, if we solved the extension problem we will have classified all finite groups! Group theory would essentially be over.

So has the extension problem been completely solved yet? I'm assuming it hasn't, but you never know because it may just be that the references aren't up to date. Does anyone know what the state of research is right now?

Also, this is probably a horribly naive question, but just like the extension problem has been completely solved for the case of finite abelian groups through the use of direct products, why doesn't the use of semidirect products solve the problem for all finite groups?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You in Advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Semidirect products are easily classified. The problem is that many group extensions are not semidirect products; in fact, the extensions which are semidirect products are precisely the ones that split.

adriank said:
Semidirect products are easily classified. The problem is that many group extensions are not semidirect products; in fact, the extensions which are semidirect products are precisely the ones that split.
So can you give me an example of a non-split extension?

Let G be the quaternion group Q8 = {±1, ±i, ±j, ±k}, and let Z be its centre {1, -1}. Then 1 → Z → G → G/Z → 1 doesn't split; that is, there is no homomorphism s: G/Z → G such that ps = idG/Z (where p: G → G/Z is the quotient map). To see this, note that G/Z is abelian, so if such an s existed then the image of s must be abelian, but s(p(i)) and s(p(j)) can't commute.

adriank said:
Let G be the quaternion group Q8 = {±1, ±i, ±j, ±k}, and let Z be its centre {1, -1}. Then 1 → Z → G → G/Z → 1 doesn't split; that is, there is no homomorphism s: G/Z → G such that ps = idG/Z (where p: G → G/Z is the quotient map). To see this, note that G/Z is abelian, so if such an s existed then the image of s must be abelian, but s(p(i)) and s(p(j)) can't commute.
Good one. OK, can you tell me the general conditions in which extensions are split or not split, or equivalently the conditions under which they are semidirect products or not?

And do you know anything about the current state of knowledge concerning the general extension problem?

Doesn't the classification of all finite simple groups essentially classify all finite groups? But group theory wouldn't be over since we still have infinite groups to contend with..

lugita15 said:
Good one. OK, can you tell me the general conditions in which extensions are split or not split, or equivalently the conditions under which they are semidirect products or not?

And do you know anything about the current state of knowledge concerning the general extension problem?

Besides the definition of a split extension, I don't know of a general way to determine whether an extension splits or not, and as I'm not really an expert in this I don't really know what progress has been made towards the general extension problem. However, there is an interesting special case that is completely solved, namely that of classifying extensions by abelian groups:

When we have an extension 1 → A → E → G → 1 with A abelian, we get a homomorphism G → Aut(A) given by conjugation. (Precisely, if p: E → G is the given map, and we consider A to be contained in E, then an element g ∈ G gives an automorphism θg ∈ Aut(A) given by θg(a) = eae-1, where e ∈ E is any element such that p(e) = g. This is well-defined because A is abelian.) Since A is abelian, such a thing is said to give A the structure of a G-module. In fact, there's a theorem: given a G-module A, there is a natural bijection
{Isomorphism classes of extensions of G by A inducing the given G-module structure} ≈ H2(G, A),​
where H2(G, A) is the second cohomology group of G with coefficients in A. This latter thing is very susceptible to computation, so we get a computable, complete classification of extensions of G by A. Under this bijection, the split extension (the semidirect product A ⋊ G) corresponds to the 0 element of H2(G, A).

When the extension is a central extension (that is, A is contained in the centre of E), such as in the example with Q8 above, then the homomorphism G → Aut(A) is trivial (so A is called a trivial G-module), and the split extension is just the direct product A × G.

[Reference: Weibel, An Introduction to Homological Algebra, chapter 6.)

Obviously this doesn't solve the general problem (since A must be abelian), but it's at least a partial result.

Poopsilon said:
Doesn't the classification of all finite simple groups essentially classify all groups? But group theory still wouldn't be over since we still have infinite groups to contend with..
No. The Jordan-Hölder theorem tells us that any finite group can be built using extensions out of finite simple groups. We have classified the finite simple groups, but we don't know all of the ways of putting them together (by extensions) in general. Thus, in some sense, the classification of finite groups is only half done.

Last edited:
Does anyone else know the current state of knowledge concerning the general case of the extension problem?

1. What is the Group Extension Problem?

The Group Extension Problem is a mathematical problem that asks whether a given group, with certain properties, can be extended by another group.

2. What are the properties of a group that are considered in this problem?

The properties that are considered in the Group Extension Problem include the order of the group, the structure of the group, and the operations that can be performed on the group.

3. Why is the Group Extension Problem important?

The Group Extension Problem is important because it has applications in many areas of mathematics, including number theory, algebraic geometry, and cryptography. It also helps to deepen our understanding of groups and their structures.

4. What is the current state of research on the Group Extension Problem?

The Group Extension Problem is an active area of research, with ongoing efforts to solve specific cases and develop general methods for solving the problem. There have been some major breakthroughs in recent years, but the problem is still unsolved in its most general form.

5. How does the Group Extension Problem relate to other mathematical problems?

The Group Extension Problem is related to other problems in group theory, such as the inverse Galois problem, as well as problems in other areas of mathematics, such as the classification of finite simple groups. It also has connections to other fields, such as physics and computer science.