Units assistance for loading of parts

In summary, the user is building a model in Abaqus and needs assistance with units for entering data. They have used mm consistently for dimensions and have entered their mass, Young's Modulus, and yield stress in appropriate units. The user also asks for clarification on entering a 5000N load. The expert advises to use N, mm, MPa, and tonne as units and reminds to leave a space between numeric values and unit symbols. They also clarify that strain is dimensionless and does not change with units.
Corsan
Hi all,

I am building a model in Abaqus and wondered if somone could assist with the units I need to enter.

I have built my parts using mm as the dimension, i.e. part is 10 units (mm) wide.

(To clarify this can also be entered as metres as in 10e-3, however I chose to be consistent with the mm approach).

Then for my material data I have entered my mass as 0.0025 (which was 2.5g/cc).
Youngs Modulus as 72000 and for the Plastic data I have entered my yield stress data as MPa (such as 425 with a plastic strain of 0.0090 (mm-3)).

As I wasn't consistent in using the SI measurements for mm (e-3) does this have a knock on effect for the above data?

Now for my loading of my parts can anyone clarify what I will need to enter for a 5000N load (pressure force)?

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Corsan: 2.5 g/cm^3 is called density, not mass. Enter your density in units of tonne/mm^3; i.e., 2.5e-9 tonne/mm^3, where 1 tonne = 1000 kg. Everything else you did currently sounds correct, except perhaps for strain. Applied force is called force, not pressure force. Pressure is in units of MPa. Enter your applied force in units of Newtons; i.e., 5000 N. In summary, use N, mm, MPa, tonne.

Strain is dimensionless. Therefore, strain does not change, regardless of the units. Therefore, I am not sure why you wrote mm^-3 after your strain value.

By the way, always leave a space between a numeric value and its following unit symbol. E.g., 5000 N, not 5000N. See the international standard for writing units (ISO 31-0). Or see any credible textbook.

Last edited:
nvn said:
Corsan: 2.5 g/cm^3 is called density, not mass. Enter your density in units of tonne/mm^3; i.e., 2.5e-9 tonne/mm^3, where 1 tonne = 1000 kg. Everything else you did currently sounds correct, except perhaps for strain. Applied force is called force, not pressure force. Pressure is in units of MPa. Enter your applied force in units of Newtons; i.e., 5000 N. In summary, use N, mm, MPa, tonne.

Strain is dimensionless. Therefore, strain does not change, regardless of the units. Therefore, I am not sure why you wrote mm^-3 after your strain value.

By the way, always leave a space between a numeric value and its following unit symbol. E.g., 5000 N, not 5000N. See the international standard for writing units (ISO 31-0). Or see any credible textbook.

Thank you for the response, that was exactly what I was looking for.
Appreciate the tip on units too :smile:

1. What is the purpose of units assistance for loading of parts?

The purpose of units assistance for loading of parts is to provide support and guidance for the proper handling and loading of parts onto a specific unit or vehicle. This ensures safe and efficient transportation of the parts to their destination.

2. Who is responsible for providing units assistance for loading of parts?

The responsibility for providing units assistance for loading of parts typically falls on the logistics or supply chain department of a company. They work closely with the unit or vehicle operators to ensure that the parts are loaded correctly and securely.

3. What factors are considered when determining the appropriate units assistance for loading of parts?

Several factors are taken into account when determining the appropriate units assistance for loading of parts, including the weight and size of the parts, the type of unit or vehicle being used, and any special handling requirements for the parts.

4. How does units assistance for loading of parts impact overall efficiency?

Units assistance for loading of parts can greatly impact overall efficiency by ensuring that the parts are loaded in a timely and organized manner. This reduces the risk of delays, damage, or loss of parts, which can ultimately affect production and operations.

5. Are there any safety considerations to keep in mind when providing units assistance for loading of parts?

Yes, safety is always a top priority when it comes to handling and loading parts. It is important to follow proper lifting techniques, use appropriate equipment and tools, and adhere to any safety regulations or protocols in place to prevent accidents or injuries.