How Can You Determine Unknown Resistance in a Circuit?

• Thread starter ee1215
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistance
In summary, the best approach to finding the unknown resistance R in a circuit similar to the one provided is to use a PIC uC with an on-chip ADC. The voltage at Vin will be proportional to R, so by measuring Vin and using it in the formula Vin = R / (R + 1000) * 5 volts, the value of R can be calculated. For example, if Vin is 3 volts, R can be calculated as 1500 ohms. This method has been verified as correct.
ee1215
If I have a circuit similar to this: http://i.imgur.com/JaUGb.png

I am reading in voltage as an input from Vin, when switch is closed, and am wanting to find out the unknown resistance R. Similar to dmm...what would be the best approach? Reading the voltage, calculate current to find R?

Engineering news on Phys.org
ee1215 said:
If I have a circuit similar to this: http://i.imgur.com/JaUGb.png

I am reading in voltage as an input from Vin, when switch is closed, and am wanting to find out the unknown resistance R. Similar to dmm...what would be the best approach? Reading the voltage, calculate current to find R?

Use a PIC uC with an on-chip ADC...

The voltage at Vin will be proportional to the resistance R.

So you can say Vin = R / (R + 1000) * 5 volts

Once you measure the value of Vin, you just put it in the above formula and work out the value of R.

For example, if the value of Vin was 3 volts, you would move the 5 volts and the (R + 1000) to the left of the equation and say 3 volts / 5 volts = 0.6

So, 0.6 * ( R +1000) = R
so 600 ohms = R - 0.6R = 0.4 R

R = 1500 ohms

Now check, 1500 / 2500 * 5 volts = 3 volts
So, the answer is right.

thanks vk, going to give it a try with my module.

There are a few different approaches you could take to find the unknown resistance in this circuit. One option would be to use Ohm's Law, which states that the voltage (V) across a resistor is equal to the current (I) multiplied by the resistance (R). In this case, you could measure the voltage (Vin) and the current (I) using a multimeter and then use those values to calculate the unknown resistance (R = V/I).

Another approach could be to use Kirchhoff's laws, which are fundamental principles in circuit analysis. Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) states that the sum of the voltages around a closed loop in a circuit is equal to zero. In this case, you could set up a loop that includes the voltage source (Vin), the unknown resistance (R), and the switch, and then use the voltage readings from the multimeter to solve for the resistance.

Alternatively, you could use the fact that the voltage across a resistor is directly proportional to the current passing through it. This means that if you measure the voltage and current at two different points in the circuit, you can calculate the resistance between those two points. For example, you could measure the voltage across the unknown resistance (Vout) and the voltage across the known resistor (R1) and then use those values to calculate the unknown resistance (R = Vout / I).

Overall, the best approach will depend on the specific details of your circuit and the equipment you have available. It may be helpful to try multiple methods and compare the results to ensure accuracy. Additionally, it is important to keep in mind any potential sources of error, such as resistance in the wires or connections, and take steps to minimize them.

1. How do you find the unknown resistance of a circuit?

To find the unknown resistance of a circuit, you will need to use Ohm's law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the current (I). This means that R = V/I. By measuring the voltage and current in the circuit, you can calculate the resistance.

2. What equipment is needed to find unknown resistance?

To find unknown resistance, you will need a power source, such as a battery, a voltmeter to measure voltage, an ammeter to measure current, and a known resistance to use for comparison. You may also need a multimeter, which combines the functions of a voltmeter and an ammeter.

3. Can you find unknown resistance without using a known resistance for comparison?

Yes, it is possible to find the unknown resistance without using a known resistance for comparison. This can be done by using a Wheatstone bridge, which is a specialized circuit that can determine the unknown resistance based on the ratio of known resistances. However, this method may be more complex and requires a deeper understanding of circuit analysis.

4. What is the accuracy of finding unknown resistance?

The accuracy of finding unknown resistance depends on the accuracy of the measurement equipment used, as well as the skill of the person performing the measurement. Using high-quality equipment and following proper measurement techniques can result in a more accurate measurement. It is also important to note that the resistance of a circuit may change over time, so multiple measurements may be needed for a more accurate result.

5. How does temperature affect the measurement of unknown resistance?

Temperature can affect the measurement of unknown resistance in two ways. First, the resistance of certain materials, such as metals, can change with temperature. This means that the resistance measurement may not be accurate if the temperature of the circuit is not taken into account. Second, using certain measurement equipment, such as thermocouples, can introduce errors if they are not properly calibrated or if there are temperature differences within the circuit.