Canonically conjugate operators

In summary, canonical quantization is a procedure in quantum mechanics for replacing the variables on a phase space by operators which have a commutator of "i". This commutator is related to the Fourier transform, and is not always true for all pairs of classically conjugate variables.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
I've searched for this but found nothing,so I ask it here.

What are canonically conjugate operators?
Is [itex] [A,B]=cI [/itex] a definition for A and B being canonically conjugate?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Shyan said:
Is [itex] [A,B]=cI [/itex] a definition for A and B being canonically conjugate?
Yes

Canonically conjugate operators A, B follow from canonically conjugate variables A, B in classical mechanics; their Poisson bracket is {A,B} = 1; they span the phase space of the system, can be used to formulate the Hamilton function H(A,B) and therefore their Hamilton e.o.m. fully define the dynamics of the theory.

In QM (canonical quantization) the variables on phase space are replaced by operators acting on Hilbert space; the commutators are defined as

[tex]\{A,B\}_\text{Poisson} = c \;\to\; [\hat{A},\hat{B}] = ic;\;c = \text{const.}[/tex]

Last edited:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canonical_commutation_relation
Wikipedia said:
In quantum mechanics (physics), the canonical commutation relation is the relation between canonical conjugate quantities (quantities which are related by definition such that one is the Fourier transform of another), for example:

[itex]
[x,p_x] = i\hbar
[/itex]

You see,looks like its related to the Fourier transform too.
In the things I've read,such relationship exists in classical mechanics too.
Just extending it to QM is a little hard for me.

Thanks tom

I would not start with the Fourier transform.

It's correct, that iff one uses a representation like a wave function in x, then p acts as a derivative and this is related to the Fourier transform; and it's correct that the relation between x- and p-space wave functions is just the Fourier transform. But the defining operator equation [x,p] = i is more general than a specific representation and therefore does not require a Fourier transform in its definition.

tom.stoer said:
Yes

Canonically conjugate operators A, B follow from canonically conjugate variables A, B in classical mechanics; their Poisson bracket is {A,B} = 1; they span the phase space of the system, can be used to formulate the Hamilton function H(A,B) and therefore their Hamilton e.o.m. fully define the dynamics of the theory.

In QM (canonical quantization) the variables on phase space are replaced by operators acting on Hilbert space; the commutators are defined as

[tex]\{A,B\}_\text{Poisson} = c \;\to\; [\hat{A},\hat{B}] = ic;\;c = \text{const.}[/tex]

Does the prescription of turning canonically conjugate variables into operators whose commutator is "i" hold for any pair of classically conjugate variables? I vaguely recall that this is not true for all pairs of classically conjugate variables (it's certainly true for Cartesian variables), but I don't remember exactly what the issue was.

geoduck said:
Does the prescription of turning canonically conjugate variables into operators whose commutator is "i" hold for any pair of classically conjugate variables? I vaguely recall that this is not true for all pairs of classically conjugate variables (it's certainly true for Cartesian variables), but I don't remember exactly what the issue was.

That is the definition of canonical quantization. The problem with non-cartesian coordinates (like polar coordinates) is that already classically their Poisson bracket is not = 1, so it's the wrong starting point. But yes, you are right, it is not allowed to replace classical Poisson bracket by the commutator in general; it works for "elementary" canonical pairs like x and p but fails for general functions f(x) and g(p). The reason is that first calculating the Poisson bracket {f,g} and then replacing this with the commutator is not the same as replacing {x,p} with the commuattor and then calculating [f,g].

Not knowing (globally) cartesian coordinates is a difficult starting point. On a manifold (with non-trivial metric) one may define "covariant derivatives" instead of standard ones; usually this results in a reasonable quantum theory. If you start with polar coordinates on the sphere using ∂Ω does not makes sense, but when using covariant derivatives one e.g. arives at the generalized Laplace-Beltrami operator Δg (g is the metric on the manifold) which is equivalent to the standard 3-dim. Laplacian expressed in polar coordinates plus ∂r set to zero (fixed radius).

Have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canonical_quantization as a starting point

1. What are canonically conjugate operators?

Canonically conjugate operators are a pair of mathematical operators that are used in quantum mechanics to represent pairs of physical quantities that are complementary to each other, such as position and momentum, or energy and time. These operators have unique mathematical properties that allow them to be used in the equations of quantum mechanics.

2. What is the significance of canonically conjugate operators in quantum mechanics?

The significance of canonically conjugate operators in quantum mechanics is that they represent fundamental physical quantities and their relationship to each other. They are used to describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level and are crucial in understanding the principles of uncertainty and complementarity in quantum mechanics.

3. How are canonically conjugate operators related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know the exact values of certain pairs of physical quantities, such as position and momentum, at the same time. Canonically conjugate operators are related to this principle because they represent these complementary quantities and their mathematical properties allow for the uncertainty principle to be expressed in equations.

4. Can canonically conjugate operators be represented graphically?

Yes, canonically conjugate operators can be represented graphically through the use of commutator diagrams. These diagrams show the relationship between the operators and how they commute or do not commute with each other, which is an important property in quantum mechanics.

5. How are canonically conjugate operators used in practical applications?

Canonically conjugate operators are used in practical applications in quantum mechanics, such as in the Schrödinger equation, which describes the time evolution of a quantum system. They are also used in experiments to measure and manipulate physical quantities at the quantum level, such as in atomic clocks and quantum computing.