Register to reply

Natural units question

by JoePhysicsNut
Tags: natural, units
Share this thread:
JoePhysicsNut
Feb12-13, 12:25 PM
P: 35
I'm slightly confused about natural units.

Take mass as an example: I can measure something in kg's, but then decide to convert to MeV/c^2, for instance. To do that I would multiply the quantity in kg by 3*10^8 squared and divide by 10^6*1.6*1-^(-19) i.e. the SI values of the constants. If I then want to express the mass in natural units, which would be MeV instead of MeV/c^2, would I multiply by 3*10^8 squared again?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond
JoePhysicsNut
Feb12-13, 02:54 PM
P: 35
Quote Quote by JoePhysicsNut View Post
I'm slightly confused about natural units.

Take mass as an example: I can measure something in kg's, but then decide to convert to MeV/c^2, for instance. To do that I would multiply the quantity in kg by 3*10^8 squared and divide by 10^6*1.6*1-^(-19) i.e. the SI values of the constants. If I then want to express the mass in natural units, which would be MeV instead of MeV/c^2, would I multiply by 3*10^8 squared again?
OK, so I've figured out that the answer is no I shouldn't multply by 3*10^8 squared again. The mass would be the same number in MeV/c^2 as it is in MeV, only in the latter case it's measured in natural units.

But to rephrase my question: if the number didn't change when going from MeV/c^2 to MeV, did the definition or "size" of MeV change?
mfb
Feb12-13, 03:09 PM
Mentor
P: 11,928
In natural units, c=1. MeV/c^2 is compatible with SI units, MeV is not.

$$1kg = 1kg\frac{m^2}{s^2} \frac{s^2}{m^2} = 1J \frac{s^2}{(3\cdot 10^8 m)^2} 9\cdot 10^{16} = 1J/c^2 \cdot 9\cdot 10^{16}$$
$$1J=1C\cdot 1V = 6\cdot 10^{18} q_e \cdot 1V = 6\cdot 10^{12}MeV$$
Therefore:
$$1kg = 1J/c^2 \cdot 9\cdot 10^{16} = 5.4\cdot 10^{29}\frac{MeV}{c^2}$$
As you can see, I did not multiply with anything, I just converted units.
(a better value for the inverse electric charge would give 5.61 instead of 5.4)

Register to reply