Register to reply

Floor function identity

by eddybob123
Tags: floor, function, identity
Share this thread:
eddybob123
Mar22-13, 12:21 PM
P: 115
Hi all, I found this rather interesting formula online and I was wondering what it means. Could someone explain it to me? All help is appreciated:
http://functions.wolfram.com/Integer...or/16/03/0001/
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Heat distributions help researchers to understand curved space
Professor quantifies how 'one thing leads to another'
Team announces construction of a formal computer-verified proof of the Kepler conjecture
rbj
Mar22-13, 01:23 PM
P: 2,251
Quote Quote by eddybob123 View Post
Hi all, I found this rather interesting formula online and I was wondering what it means. Could someone explain it to me? All help is appreciated:
http://functions.wolfram.com/Integer...or/16/03/0001/
the [itex]\theta[/itex] function is the unit step function, so they are creating a staircase function out of the steps (the infinite summation), and that becomes the floor function.
eddybob123
Mar22-13, 06:03 PM
But what does the z mod 1 mean? I've never seen people use 1 as a modular base before?

micromass
Mar23-13, 12:18 AM
Mentor
P: 18,334
Floor function identity

Quote Quote by eddybob123 View Post
But what does the z mod 1 mean? I've never seen people use 1 as a modular base before?
The notation ##z## mod 1 means that you take the element ##x\in [0,1)## such that ##z-x\in \mathbb{Z}##.

If you wish, you can put an equivalence relation ##x\sim y~\Leftrightarrow ~x-y\in \mathbb{Z}## on ##\mathbb{R}##. We can then look at equivalence classes. It won't be the exact same thing as what I said in my first sentence though.
eddybob123
Mar28-13, 06:17 PM
Are there any formulas that compare any positive real number r with floor[r]? I know that their difference is the fractional part of r, which is {r}, but I mean are there any formulas where you can obtain these values systematically?

Register to reply