How do I find deflection in this beam?

In summary, to find the deflection in point C at the end of the beam, first determine the reactions at A and B, then use software or mathematical equations to calculate the deflection. This will require knowing the modulus of elasticity and moment of inertia of the beam. There are different formulas for different situations, which can be found online or in the provided attachment. The deflection of the beam will be approximate due to the roller connection at point B, so to find the exact deflection, the beam must be analyzed from first principles.
raymanmusic
How do I find deflection (displacement) in point C at the end of the beam? Answer is to be given in mm. There is a roller connection (only Fy) in B and an external pin in A (Fy and Fx).

2vwzre8.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
As in all beam problems, first determine the reactions at A and B which put the loaded beam in equilibrium.

Once that is done, you can determine the deflection at C from first principles (if you like doing the math) or you can use software which analyzes beam problems.

To find the true deflection of the beam, you will need to know the modulus of elasticity (E) and the moment of inertia (I) of the beam.

I have the modulus of elasticity (E) and the moment of intertia (I), but what formula do I use? There are different formulas for different situations. You can see formulas here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deflection_(engineering)

See this attachment:
http://www.advancepipeliner.com/Resources/Others/Beams/Beam_Deflection_Formulae.pdf

The deflection of your beam would be approximately equal to the sum of the deflections from case 1 and case 4. Your beam is not exactly fixed at point B so the deflection at C will only be approximate. Like I said earlier, in order to find the exact amount of deflection, you would have to analyze the beam from first principles.

Please see duplicate thread at thread 711339.

1. How do I calculate the deflection in a beam?

The deflection in a beam can be calculated using the Euler-Bernoulli beam equation, which takes into account the beam's material properties, dimensions, and loading conditions. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using finite element analysis software.

2. What factors affect the deflection in a beam?

The deflection in a beam is affected by several factors including the beam's material, dimensions, support conditions, and the magnitude and location of the applied load. Other factors such as temperature changes and moisture content can also affect deflection.

3. How do I determine the maximum deflection in a beam?

To determine the maximum deflection in a beam, the beam's bending moment and shear force diagrams must be first calculated. The maximum deflection occurs at the location where the bending moment is the highest. This can be found by taking the second derivative of the deflection equation.

4. How do I know if the deflection in a beam is within acceptable limits?

The acceptable limits for deflection in a beam depend on the specific application and building codes. Generally, deflections that do not exceed the beam's span/360 or span/500 are considered acceptable. It is important to consult with a structural engineer to determine the appropriate deflection limits for your project.

5. Can I increase the stiffness of a beam to reduce deflection?

Yes, the stiffness of a beam can be increased by using a stiffer material, increasing the beam's cross-sectional area, or adding additional support. However, it is important to consider the added weight and potential cost implications of increasing the stiffness of a beam.