What is the role of chemical potential in conduction?

In summary, the key step in conduction is lowering the energy levels in one lead by connecting it to a collection of negative charge and the other lead to a collection of positive charge. This physically lowers the potential relative to the other and gives rise to the separation of chemical potentials needed for conduction.
aaaa202
I am studying some simple models of how conduction arises on a microscopic level. A central idea is the following:
Look at two leads attached by a conducting channel. Initially the system as a whole is in equilibrium which especially means that the chemical potential μ is the same everywhere. Now the crucial idea is: Apply a voltage V across the two leads. This lowers the energy levels in one lead respect to the other keeping their chemical potentials separated by qV, which then is what gives rise to conduction.
I have underlined what I think to be the crucial step that I don't understand. To lower the potential means physically that we somehow connect one lead to a collection of negative charge (i.e. the negative pole of a battery) and the other lead to a collection of positive charge (the positive pole of a battery). The electrons in the lead connected to the negative pole will then have a potential relative to the electrons in the lead connected to the positive ones.
But physically how do we go from this observation to chemical potentials being shifted. The chemical potential is a variable that maximizes entropy for a system which can exchange particles, so more a less something which controls the amount of particles in a system.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure if this answers your question, but I found it so I figured I'd post it in case it does.
From wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemic...l.2C_external.2C_and_total_chemical_potential

The abstract definition of chemical potential given above—total change in free energy per extra mole of substance—is more specifically called total chemical potential.[8][9] If two locations have different total chemical potentials for a species, some of it may be due to potentials associated with "external" force fields (Electric potential energy differences, gravitational potential energy differences, etc.), while the rest would be due to "internal" factors (density, temperature, etc.)[8] Therefore the total chemical potential can be split into internal chemical potential and external chemical potential:

You must be careful which potential to use.
You have
##dU=TdS-Udq +\mu dn##
Hence mu is the change of energy with entropy S and charge q being kept constant.
However you are shifting charged electrons with charge ne, so you have
## dU=TdS +(\mu-eU) dn ##
The expression in the brackets is known as electrochemical potential and has to be equal for two systems which may exchange electrons.

1. What is conduction?

Conduction is the transfer of heat or electricity through a material without any overall movement of the material itself.

2. What is the principle behind conduction?

The principle behind conduction is the movement of energy through the vibration of particles in a material. When one particle is heated, it begins to vibrate and collide with neighboring particles, transferring the energy and causing them to vibrate as well.

3. How does the type of material affect conduction?

The type of material affects conduction because different materials have different abilities to conduct heat or electricity. Materials with closely packed particles, such as metals, are good conductors while materials with loosely packed particles, such as air, are poor conductors.

4. What factors affect the rate of conduction?

The rate of conduction is affected by several factors including the type of material, its temperature, and the distance the heat or electricity must travel. It is also affected by the surface area and thickness of the material, with larger surface areas and thinner materials allowing for faster conduction.

5. How is conduction different from convection and radiation?

Conduction is different from convection and radiation because it does not involve the physical movement of a substance or the emission of electromagnetic waves. Convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids, while radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.