Register to reply

What can I consider 'fundamental definitions'?

by oddjobmj
Tags: definitions, fundamental
Share this thread:
oddjobmj
Nov22-13, 06:56 PM
P: 278
What are considered fundamental definitions? For context, a question was posed where the prof. provided parametric equations for the motion of a satellite in orbit and said that we can use the provided equations, fundamental definitions, and no other equations to solve the problems.

What does that mean?

I thought I had an idea of what that meant but a part of the question asks for us to solve for momentum but none of the parametric equations contain momentum explicitly which means we have to use -some other relationship- to introduce momentum to the system of equations. So, I thought I would pose that question here and see what you guys think.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond
HallsofIvy
Nov22-13, 08:11 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,569
Well, if the problem asks for "momentum", the definition of momentum would be pretty fundamental wouldn't it?
oddjobmj
Nov22-13, 08:29 PM
P: 278
Absolutely, but that doesn't help me work out what relationships are fundamental. I say this because if we suppose that all relationship that are necessary to solve the problem are fundamental we get nowhere because even then I can't know which are fundamental until I know how to solve the problem. Is it truly this arbitrary or is there some sort of distinction that I can use to at least make a reasonable argument that something is fundamental?

Drakkith
Nov22-13, 11:02 PM
Mentor
P: 11,904
What can I consider 'fundamental definitions'?

I'd ask your professor exactly what they mean by "fundamental definitions". Our opinions here could be entirely different from what he actually meant.

Register to reply