Solution to polynomial of unknown degree

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of finding the solution to a polynomial of the form y = Ax^a + Bx^b, where a and b are real numbers. The conversation also touches on the complexity of finding the inverse of a polynomial and mentions Fermat's Last Theorem as an example of a seemingly simple question with a complex solution. Finally, the conversation concludes with a discussion of Newton-Puiseux's Theorem for computing power series representations of algebraic functions.
Jhenrique
Dear!

Is possible to solution a polynomial of kind y = Ax^a + Bx^b ?

Thx!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You have sevens unknowns and one equation.

Could you solve 0 = a + b + c + d + e + f + g + h?

Jhenrique said:
Dear!

Thx!
I assume you are asking if it is possible to find the zeroes of y(x) = Ax^a + Bx^b, where a,b are real numbers?

Jorriss said:
I assume you are asking if it is possible to find the zeroes of y(x) = Ax^a + Bx^b, where a,b are real numbers?

If it's a polynomial then a and b are natural.

Jhenrique said:
Dear!

glappkaeft said:
You have sevens unknowns and one equation.
I count six: A, a, B, b, x, and y.

omg, my question is simple!

I would like to know if is possible to isolate the x variable in equation
[tex]f(x)=ax^{\alpha}+bx^{\beta}[/tex]

Jhenrique said:

In general, no. If [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex] are both less than 5, then yes. If they're both less than three, then it's a quadratic or simpler and hence easily done by the quadratic formula. In most other cases it's either difficult or impossible.

Yes, it's possible, and quite easy. Let us suppose that [itex]\alpha > \beta[/itex]. Let [itex]\zeta = e^{2\pi i/(\alpha - \beta)}[/itex] be a primitive root of unity. Then the polynomial factors as:
[tex]ax^\beta \prod_{k=1}^{\alpha - \beta} (x - \left( \frac{b}{a} \right)^{1/(\alpha - \beta)} \zeta^k)[/tex]

In mathematics, as in other areas of science, just because a question is 'simple', it does not necessarily follow that the solution will be 'simple'.

For example, consider Fermat's Last Theorem:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermat's_Last_Theorem

Citan Uzuki said:
Yes, it's possible, and quite easy. Let us suppose that [itex]\alpha > \beta[/itex]. Let [itex]\zeta = e^{2\pi i/(\alpha - \beta)}[/itex] be a primitive root of unity. Then the polynomial factors as:
[tex]ax^\beta \prod_{k=1}^{\alpha - \beta} (x - \left( \frac{b}{a} \right)^{1/(\alpha - \beta)} \zeta^k)[/tex]

He's not looking to factor the polynomial but rather to find the inverse [itex]f^{-1}(x)[/itex], I think...

Mentallic said:
He's not looking to factor the polynomial but rather to find the inverse [itex]f^{-1}(x)[/itex], I think...

Yeah!

Jhenrique said:

Yes if the exponents are positive integers. Consider the general algebraic function, ##y(x)## written implicitly as:

$$f(x,y)=a_1(x)+a_2(x)y+a_3(x)y^2+\cdots+a_n(x)y^n=0$$

with ##a_i(x)## polynomials. In your case we would simply have:

$$f(x,y)=x-ay^{\alpha}-by^{\beta}=0$$

Then by Newton-Puiseux's Theorem, we can compute power series representations of the various branches (solutions) of ##y(x)## having the form:

$$y_d(x)=\sum_{n=-p}^{\infty} c_n\left(x^{1/d}\right)^n$$

with radii of convergences extending at least to the nearest singular point of ##f(x,y)## and often further than that.

Do a search for "Newton Polygon" if you're interested in knowing how to compute these "Puiseux" series.

Last edited:

1. What is a polynomial of unknown degree?

A polynomial of unknown degree is an algebraic expression that contains variables, constants, and coefficients, and the degree of the polynomial is not specified. This means that the highest power of the variable is not known.

2. How do you solve a polynomial of unknown degree?

The first step in solving a polynomial of unknown degree is to gather all like terms and simplify the expression. Then, try to factor the polynomial by finding common factors. If the polynomial cannot be factored, you can use the quadratic formula or other methods to solve for the variable.

3. Can a polynomial of unknown degree have multiple solutions?

Yes, a polynomial of unknown degree can have multiple solutions. This is because the degree is not specified, so there can be more than one value for the variable that satisfies the equation.

4. What are some common techniques for solving a polynomial of unknown degree?

Some common techniques for solving a polynomial of unknown degree include factoring, using the quadratic formula, completing the square, and using the rational root theorem. These techniques can help to find the solutions for the variable in the polynomial equation.

5. Can a polynomial of unknown degree have imaginary or complex solutions?

Yes, a polynomial of unknown degree can have imaginary or complex solutions. This can happen when the polynomial cannot be factored and requires the use of the quadratic formula, which can result in complex solutions. It is important to check the solutions to see if they are real or complex.