Register to reply

Two body decay particle distribution and its Lorentz transformation

by Chenkb
Tags: lorentz boost, phase factor
Share this thread:
Chenkb
Jan20-14, 08:23 AM
P: 27
For two-body decay ##A\rightarrow B+C##, if A is polarized, it is clear that we have:
##\frac{dN}{d\Omega}\propto 1+\alpha \cos\theta^*##, for final particle distribution.
where, ##\theta^*## is the angle between the final particle's momentum ##p^*## and the polarization vector of ##A## in the rest frame of ##A##.

And using ##d^3p^* = p^{*2}d\Omega dp^*##, we can rewrite the distribution formula in terms of ##\frac{dN}{d^3p^*}##.

The question is, when we go to the laboratory frame that ##A## is moving with an arbitrary momentum ##\vec{p}_A##, what does ##\frac{dN}{d^3p}## looks like?
I know that this is just an Lorentz transformation of arbitrary direction, but I failed to get the final expression, I feel it is too complicated.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond

Register to reply