A quick Trig Identity Question.

In summary, the trigonometric identities shown above demonstrate that the sine and cosine functions can be expressed in terms of one another, with a coefficient of 0.5 and the arguments of u and v. The difference between u and v lies in the arguments of the sine and cosine functions, with u representing a number and v representing a different number. However, care must be taken to ensure the correct arguments are used in the formula to obtain accurate results.
logan233
Hopefully this will make sense...

We have the trig. identities shown below:
sin(u)cos(v) = 0.5[sin(u+v) + sin(u-v)]
cos(u)sin(v) = 0.5[sin(u+v) - sin(u-v)]

How are these different? I realize u and v switched between the sine and cosine functions, but what is the difference between u and v? I recognize that there is a difference between taking sine of a number u and sine of a different number v, and same with taking the cosine of a those numbers, I just don't see how we differentiate between u and v. Like say we have...

x(t) = sin(2πt)cos(2π10t) and we choose u = 2πt and v = 2π10t
so that x1(t) = 0.5[sin(2π11t) + sin(2π9t)]
but what if we choose u = 2π10t and v = 2πt
then x2(t) = 0.5[sin(2π11t) - sin(2π9t)], which is different than the original x(t) even though we simply chose u and v to be different?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
logan233 said:
x(t) = sin(2πt)cos(2π10t) and we choose u = 2πt and v = 2π10t
so that x1(t) = 0.5[sin(2π11t) + sin(2π9t)]
Your mistake is here. The formula is ##0.5[\sin(u+v) + \sin(u-v)]##, so the argument to the second ##\sin## should be ##-2\pi 9 t##, not ##2\pi 9 t##. Then use the fact that ##\sin(-x) = -\sin(x)## to see that the two answers are in fact the same.

Likes 1 person
Oh I see now. Thank you.

1. What is a trig identity?

A trig identity is an equation that shows the relationship between different trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These identities can be used to simplify and solve complex trigonometric equations.

2. Why is it important to know trig identities?

Knowing trig identities is important because they can be used to simplify and solve complex trigonometric equations, which are commonly used in fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering.

3. What is an example of a trig identity?

An example of a trig identity is the Pythagorean identity: sin²θ + cos²θ = 1. This identity shows the relationship between sine and cosine values in a right triangle.

4. How do I prove a trig identity?

To prove a trig identity, you must manipulate one side of the equation using basic trigonometric identities and algebraic techniques until it is equivalent to the other side. This shows that both sides of the equation are equal and the identity is true.

5. How do I use trig identities to solve equations?

To use trig identities to solve equations, you can substitute the identities into the equation to simplify it and then solve for the variable. You can also use identities to rewrite the equation in a more manageable form before solving it.