Register to reply

Thermodynamics? number crunching thermal conductivity

Share this thread:
fastline
Feb5-14, 05:56 PM
P: 24
I am working on some basic calcs for heat transfer from polyethylene pipe. My numbers are not working out right so I need a little refresher.

The PE pipe would have a TC of about .46 W/(m.*C). to get to BTU/(hr.ft.*F), I mult by .5779 to get .266.

Assuming 10sf of PE pipe, and lets say a dT of 10*F, how do I arrive at my BTU/hr? Wall thickness of piping is .120" but I am told that does not matter. IIRC, the unit is actualy per sf PER ft so I might actually divide by my thickness which gets me closer at around 2.22 BTU/hr/sf*F of pipe?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond
Chestermiller
Feb5-14, 06:50 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 5,264
Quote Quote by fastline View Post
I am working on some basic calcs for heat transfer from polyethylene pipe. My numbers are not working out right so I need a little refresher.

The PE pipe would have a TC of about .46 W/(m.*C). to get to BTU/(hr.ft.*F), I mult by .5779 to get .266.

Assuming 10sf of PE pipe, and lets say a dT of 10*F, how do I arrive at my BTU/hr? Wall thickness of piping is .120" but I am told that does not matter. IIRC, the unit is actualy per sf PER ft so I might actually divide by my thickness which gets me closer at around 2.22 BTU/hr/sf*F of pipe?
The formula for the heat load Q (BTU/hr) is:
[tex]Q=\frac{k}{d}ΔTA[/tex]
where d is the wall thickness.
fastline
Feb5-14, 06:57 PM
P: 24
I guess I am second guessing the units here. Would you mind applying the math to my above figures? Would this indeed be

k=.266
d=.120

k/d = 2.22BTU?

Chestermiller
Feb5-14, 09:49 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 5,264
Thermodynamics? number crunching thermal conductivity

Quote Quote by fastline View Post
I guess I am second guessing the units here. Would you mind applying the math to my above figures? Would this indeed be

k=.266
d=.120

k/d = 2.22BTU?
You need to use d expressed in feet. How many inches are there in 1 ft?

Register to reply