Register to reply

Did I experience time dilation or something?

by Genecks
Tags: dilation, experience, time
Share this thread:
Genecks
Apr9-14, 01:06 AM
P: 150
So, I am learning about atomic clocks.

I went to this website: http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/simpletime.html

And I started watching the atomic clock on that website tick away. It was ok and cool. At the moment, the website is frozen with "Loading..." for each time zone.

When I started playing with the website, I decided to grab my cellphone. I was thinking it probably gets its time from some cellphone tower. I don't know. Anyway, I grabbed it, sat on my bed, looked at the website time, and then I started looking at the cellphone's time. The cellphone has some text that scrolls on the bottom of it telling me how many service days I have left. However, as the text began scrolling, it froze. It froze. I mean, it's like it got stuck in time. And I was sitting on my bed, conscious, thinking that's really weird, and then I looked up at the website clock and back at my phone, and it's like time passed really quick and the marquee on my phone scrolled faster than usual. I felt like time jumped ahead. It made me think of jet lag or something, and I could not explain the phenomenon.

Did I experience some kind of time effect?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond
dipole
Apr9-14, 01:11 AM
P: 440
Was your bed moving at relativistic speeds?
SteamKing
Apr9-14, 02:09 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 6,559
Time doesn't stop just because your phone did.

Register to reply