What is the Number of Quarks Operator in Quantum Field Theory?

In summary, the operator: $$\hat N_{val}=\sum_f |\hat Q_f|,$$gives the number of valence quarks for a particle according to the following equation: $$\hat Q_f=\int d^3x \bar \psi_f\gamma_0\psi_f.$$
Einj
Hi everyone. In QFT one usually defines the "number of valence quarks" of a certain particle via the operator:
$$
\hat N_{val}=\sum_f |\hat Q_f|,$$
where:
$$
\hat Q_f=\int d^3x \bar \psi_f\gamma_0\psi_f.$$

According to this definition I expected, for example, for the [itex]J/\psi[/itex] to have [itex]N_{val}=0[/itex], i.e. the same quantum numbers as the vacuum. However, I can't understand what I am doing wrong. Very roughly speaking, in terms of creation/annhilation operators we have:
$$
\hat Q_c\sim (a_{\bar c}+a_c^\dagger)(a_c+a_{\bar c}^\dagger)=a_{\bar c}a_c+a_{\bar c}a^\dagger_{\bar c}+a_ca_c^\dagger+a^\dagger_c a^\dagger_{\bar c}.
$$
Hence, when applied to the particle [itex]|J/\psi\rangle=|\bar c c\rangle[/itex] is should give me:
$$
\hat Q_c|J/\psi\rangle\sim |0\rangle+2|\bar cc\rangle+|\bar c\bar ccc\rangle,
$$ thus giving a number of valence quarks equal to 2. What's wrong with my calculation?

Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
Einj said:
$$
\hat Q_c\sim (a_{\bar c}+a_c^\dagger)(a_c+a_{\bar c}^\dagger)=a_{\bar c}a_c+a_{\bar c}a^\dagger_{\bar c}+a_ca_c^\dagger+a^\dagger_c a^\dagger_{\bar c}.
$$
Isn't it [itex]N_c = a_c^\dagger a_c[/itex] for the quarks and [itex]N_{\bar c} = a_{\bar c}^\dagger a_{\bar c}[/itex] for the antiquarks? And then [itex]N = N_c - N_{\bar c}[/itex] is zero for the J/ψ state.

Oh I think I got it. You are right. The point is that in the canonical quantization you need to write the operators using the "good order" prescription. I also wrote it incorrectly, we should have:
$$
\hat Q_c\sim(a_{\bar c}+a_c^\dagger)(a_c+a^\dagger_{\bar c})=a_{\bar c}a_c+a_{\bar c}a_{\bar c}^\dagger+a_c^\dagger a_c+a_c^\dagger a_{\bar c}^\dagger.
$$
In order to have the right order (annihilation on the left) you need to anticommute the second term, thus obtaining the extra minus sign.

Thanks!

1. What is the number of quarks operator?

The number of quarks operator is a mathematical representation used in quantum field theory to describe the number of quarks in a given system. It is denoted by the symbol Nq.

2. How is the number of quarks operator used in particle physics?

In particle physics, the number of quarks operator is used to calculate the number of quarks in a specific particle state. It is an important tool for understanding the behavior and interactions of subatomic particles.

3. Can the number of quarks operator be used to predict the number of quarks in a system?

No, the number of quarks operator cannot be used to predict the exact number of quarks in a system. It is a mathematical operator that represents the number of quarks in a given state, but the actual number of quarks can vary depending on the system and its interactions.

4. How is the number of quarks operator related to the concept of quark flavor?

The number of quarks operator is related to the concept of quark flavor, as it allows us to determine the number of quarks of a specific flavor in a given system. Quark flavor refers to the different types of quarks, such as up, down, charm, strange, top, and bottom.

5. Are there any limitations to using the number of quarks operator?

Yes, there are limitations to using the number of quarks operator. It is only applicable in quantum field theory and cannot accurately predict the number of quarks in a system at a specific time, as the number of quarks can change due to interactions and other factors.