Can I Push the Moon Instantly?

• Thread starter darrin016
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moon Push
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a push being faster than light if a stick was used to push the moon. It is determined that even though the stick may appear to move faster than light, the impulse is actually traveling at the speed of sound within the rod, which is slower than light. The same idea applies with a laser pointer on the moon, where the dot may appear to move faster than light but carries no information.
darrin016
Can a push, be faster than light?
If I was to hold a stick that stretched out to the moon, and pushed it. Could I push the moon instantly?
Seeing as that the stick could defy physics etc and I had enough strength to make an impact on the moon.

Physics news on Phys.org
I feel like it's possible. I push one end, the other end needs to move to make room for the stick pushing right?

Even though the 'poke' is 'travelling' faster than light, as long as the stick is traveling slower than light, you're okay. If you had a million billion trillion km long stick that you pushed 1mm in 1/100th of a second, nothing would actually be going faster than light. The same idea applies with a laser pointer on the moon. If you flick the dot back and forth really fast on earth, the dot appears to move faster than light.

But the push would have to react instantly. How can one end of the stick move, while the end doesn't?
Has to be faster than light

See https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=536289

Last edited by a moderator:
97313 said:
Even though the 'poke' is 'travelling' faster than light,
It is not. The impulse is traveling at the speed of sound within the rod, which is slower than light. The impulse carries information so it cannot travel faster than light.

97313 said:
The same idea applies with a laser pointer on the moon.
No, it is completely different.

97313 said:
If you flick the dot back and forth really fast on earth, the dot appears to move faster than light.
It doesn't just appear, it is moving faster than light. But the dot carries no information across the surface, so it can move at any speed.

1. Can the Moon be pushed instantly?

No, it is not possible to push the Moon instantly. Any change in the Moon's position or orbit would require a massive amount of force and energy, which cannot be achieved instantly.

2. Can humans push the Moon?

No, humans do not have the capability to push the Moon. The Moon has a mass of 7.34 x 10^22 kilograms, which is far too heavy for humans to move even a tiny fraction of its distance.

3. Can technology push the Moon instantly?

No, current technology does not have the capability to push the Moon instantly. Even the most powerful rockets and engines cannot generate enough force to move the Moon instantly.

4. What would happen if the Moon was pushed instantly?

If the Moon was somehow pushed instantly, it would likely have catastrophic effects on Earth. The sudden change in the Moon's position and orbit could cause significant changes in tides, weather patterns, and other natural phenomena.

5. Is it possible to move the Moon at all?

Technically, yes, the Moon can be moved. However, it would require an immense amount of energy and a sustained effort over a long period of time. It is not feasible or practical to move the Moon for any purpose.