Stove from can, alcohol and steelwool

• Thread starter Oomph!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Alcohol
In summary, a man made a primitive stove using a can, rubbing alcohol, and steel wool. The steel wool acts as a wick and distributes the fuel fumes for better burning. The use of rubbing alcohol results in a cleaner burn with less soot. Denatured alcohol can also be used. The design of the stove can vary, with some using a wick and others having multiple holes in the can. This type of stove can be used for cooking, but caution should be taken as the flame can be hard to see. Before the invention of the Bunsen Burner, alcohol burners were commonly used in labs.
Oomph!
Hello.
I saw some video when a man made primitive stove from can, rubbing alcohol and steelwool. He modifed the can and take onto steelwool and rubbing alcohol, made some holes to can and he lighted it.
However, I have some question. Why he used rubbing alcohol and steelwool? Why steelwool? What chemical reaction is it? Can I use normal technical alcohol, not rubbing alcohol?

Physics news on Phys.org
Last first:
1. yes - you can use any fuel so log as it is smelly - has fumes.
2. the idea of the steel wool is to distribute the fumes so you get a good air-fume mix.

... did you observe the steel wool being burned up in the process?
This can happen - steel reacts with oxygen in the air - but it is not important for the operation of the stove.
The alcohol burns in the air making carbon-dioxide and water - but if the air does not mix well, then you get carbon-monoxide and more soot. Not good.

I've done it with cotton-wool.
You can get a slower fuel use by using a more formal wick - but that tends to be cooler.

So, why the all ethanol does not burn in a while? Because there is the steel wool? If I light normal ethanol without steel wool, it will burn in a while. Well, how long it will glow approximately? Can I normally cook on it? Can it damage pot?

Thank you.

I'm not sure I understand your questions.
Oomph! said:
So, why the all ethanol does not burn in a while?
You mean why does it take longer than normal to burn - because the steel wool acts like a wick.

If I light normal ethanol without steel wool, it will burn in a while.
The ethanol will burn quite a bit faster yes.

Well, how long it will glow approximately?
... how long with the ethanol burn for?
Don't know.

Can I normally cook on it? Can it damage pot?
I don't know how you normally cook - but you can cook food on a spirit stove like that.
You are restricted by the small size.

Why not build one and see?

Oomph! said:
Hello.
I saw some video when a man made primitive stove from can, rubbing alcohol and steelwool. He modifed the can and take onto steelwool and rubbing alcohol, made some holes to can and he lighted it.
However, I have some question. Why he used rubbing alcohol and steelwool? Why steelwool? What chemical reaction is it? Can I use normal technical alcohol, not rubbing alcohol?
Ethyl alcohol on a wick burns with almost no soot, so is a relatively clean fuel. The flame is almost colourless, so I caution you that it is easy to burn yourself if you experiment in bright daylight because you may not see the extent of the flame. I expect the steel wool is nothing more than an improvised wick; ideally, it does not get consumed.

I would not expect there to be "multiple" holes in the can where the design uses a wick, but the common tiny camp stove uses no wick and has many holes. Perhaps read more widely with a google search on "homemade alcohol burner".

You can use denatured alcohol, aka methylated spirits, it is almost pure ethyl alcohol.

Before the Bunsen Burner, basic lab heating used an alcohol burner with a cotton cord wick. Some still use it, the flame is hot enough to soften glass tubing, though it performed much better with the old soda glass tubing and its lower melting point.

1. How does a stove made from a can, alcohol and steelwool work?

The stove works by using the heat generated from burning alcohol to heat up and vaporize the steelwool. The vaporized steelwool then mixes with the alcohol vapor and ignites, creating a controlled flame that can be used for cooking.

2. What materials do I need to make a stove from a can, alcohol and steelwool?

To make this type of stove, you will need an empty aluminum can, rubbing alcohol, and a small piece of steelwool. You may also need a pair of scissors or a knife to cut the can and steelwool.

3. Is it safe to use a stove made from a can, alcohol and steelwool?

When used correctly, this type of stove can be safe. However, it is important to take precautions such as using the stove in a well-ventilated area and keeping flammable materials away from the flame. It is also important to properly extinguish the flame when finished cooking.

4. What are the advantages of using a stove made from a can, alcohol and steelwool?

There are several advantages to using this type of stove. It is lightweight and portable, making it a great option for camping or backpacking. It is also inexpensive and easy to make, using materials that are readily available. Additionally, the flame is easily adjustable, allowing for more precise cooking.

5. Can I use any type of alcohol with this type of stove?

While rubbing alcohol is the most commonly used fuel for this type of stove, denatured alcohol can also be used. It is important to avoid using any type of alcohol that contains water, as this can cause the flame to sputter and reduce the efficiency of the stove.